"Almonte - A small town in Eastern Ontario" Almonte by GrumpyDiver
Almonte Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 23 photos
The town on Almonte is probably well known to basketball fans around the world as the birthplace of James Naismith, the inventor of basketball.
It is a typical Ottawa Valley town, that is about a 20 minute drive from where I live. The water power was harnessed to power the grist mill and later on the woolen mills that thrived in the area. The main railway line ran through the town as well.
The woolen mills are long gone and the railway track is being abandonned. It is slowly becoming a bedroom community for people working in the west end of Ottawa.
Growth west of town gutted the town core about five years ago as businesses moved to the suburban mall on the main road at the east end of town. Since then there has been a bit of a revival and small speciality shops are setting up in the centre of town.
This is the town hall, a traditional building that has been dressed up a bit.
- Pros:Nice little traditional Eastern Ontario town
- Cons:There really isn't too much going on here
- In a nutshell:Birthplace of James Naismith, inventor of basketball
We discovered this gem of a restaurant quite recently; on the south side of Queen Street in Almonte right beside the the... more travel advice
Written Oct 23, 2011
A few more images around the Town of Almonte
Written Feb 5, 2012
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Almonte Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Almonte
- 3 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Almonte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Almonte
Photos in AlmonteSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues