"Mansfield-et-Pontefract" Fort Coulonge by GrumpyDiver
Fort Coulonge Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
Fort Coulonge is actually the next town. We did a short day trip to view the water falls and log chute on the Coulonge River located here.
This was the heart of lumberjack country, with the last log drive having taken place in 1982. The falls are stunning.
This covered bridge over the Coulonge River is the only 19th century (built in 1898) in Western Quebec. The "Red Bridge" gets its name honestly, as it seems to be painted in the same red coloured paint of just about every other covered bridge I've seen,
George Bryson seems to have done well for himself. He owned some prime timber growing land, as well as the long log chute at the Coulonge Falls. Here he was able to charge all of the other lumber companies a fee for letter their logs slide down the chute that by-passed the Coulonge Falls.
- Pros:Just a reasonable drive from Ottawa
- Cons:The scenery is pretty, but not too much to do.
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Fort Coulonge Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Fort Coulonge
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Fort Coulonge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Coulonge
Photos in Fort CoulongeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues