"The Gaspe Pennisula" Gaspé by GrumpyDiver
Gaspé Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 411 photos
The Cap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in Canada at 34.1m / 112 ft tall. It was built in 1858 and in 1973 was declared as a National Historical Site of Canada. It is located on the north-east tip of the Gaspé Pennisula, in Quebec. These old abandoned lighthouses have been replaced by newer, more effective technology, but they do remind us of the days over the past decades and centuries where these were relied on by the boats and ships to guide them safely through the waters.
I got there in the late evening, during "magic hour", just as the sun was setting and bathing the western parts of the buildings in a warm light. This nicely contrasted the fog that was rolling in off the Gulf of St Lawrence.
The main lighthouse light was on, so I had to wait until the light turned to get the green tinge of the light coming through the edge of the large fresnel lens that surrounds the light.
This is a bit of a different point of view of the well known Percé Rock. Instead of the usual shot taken from near sea level, this shot is taken from a nearby hill.
This National Park is one of the newer ones and was opened in 1977. It is not particularly large and most visitors could probably manage to see the key highlights in one or at most two days.
The northern part of the park juts out into the Gulf of St Lawrence, while the southern part is on the Bay of Chaleur
- Pros:Back to nature
- Cons:It's a bit touristy
Located just off-shore from the village of Percé, this giant rock with a hole in it is one of the main tourist... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Gaspé Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The rugged tip of Gaspé Peninsula"
- ""Where the land ends""
- "Maritime Quebec...Pretty Close to the EDGE..."
- "Traverse of Eastern Canada: Gaspé Peninsula"
- "Gaspe Peninsula"
- "The Gaspe Peninsula"
- "Motorcycle trip 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaspé
- Hotels in Gaspé
- Transportation in Gaspé
- Nightlife in Gaspé
- Restaurants in Gaspé
- Warnings and Dangers in Gaspé
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gaspé
- 3 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Gaspé?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaspé
Photos in GaspéSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Gaspé hotel reviews
- Hotel des Commandants
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013