"Joggins Fossil Cliffs - UNESCO World Heritage Site" Joggins by GrumpyDiver
Joggins Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos
If you are into fossils from some 300 million years ago, the Joggins Fossil Cliffs have fossils from the Pennsylvanian Period of the Carboniferous Age. Don't bother looking for dinosaurs, though. The fossils here are far older and are mostly sandstone casts of trees and reptile or giant centipede tracks.
The beds are located along the Bay of Fundy, so a visit has to be timed to coordinate with the tides, as they can get right up to the fossils themselves. The picture below was taken about 30 minutes after high tide; the tide moves in and out at a rate of close to 30cm / 1ft per minute.
Guided tours run hourly when it is safe.
You can see an in-situ (i.e. this is where it was originally located) tree trunk to the right of the guide (it's the large triangular piece of rock).
Most of the fossils at Joggins are casts, where sand patterned the shape of the original remant and then turned to sandstone over the long period of high pressure.
There is a small, but nicely done museum at the visitor centre
- Pros:Some interesting early Carboninferous fossils
- Cons:Not much else in the area
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Joggins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An "old time" place on the Fundy Coast"
- "Joggins Fossil Cliffs - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Joggins
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Joggins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Joggins
- Posted in Travel Angkor Wat Forum "Re: How dry is dry season in..."
- created a Joggins Travel Page "Joggins Fossil Cliffs - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Joggins Fossil Cliffs - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues