"Prince Edward County" Picton by GrumpyDiver
Picton Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 115 photos
Unfortunately, VT's database does not contain Prince Edward County, the proper name of the municipality. Picton is the largest ward and is the site of the municpal offices.
There is much more to Prince Edward County; it has transformed from a largely farming community to a bit of a vacation hotspot, with natural beauty, over thirty boutique wineries, a distillery, restaurants, beaches and marinas. Sandbanks Provincial Park is one of the most popular provincial parks in Ontario, and the camp site is usually fully booked a year in advance.
The Bay of Quinte (pronounced Qwinn - tee) area with inlets and bays is essentially an island on the north shore of Lake Ontario. It's about a 2-hour drive from Toronto, an hour from Kingston, three hours from Ottawa and four hours from Montreal.
It's worth a stop for a couple of days if you are making your way between Toronto and Montreal
It's a one-hour drive
These sand dunes, which are up to 25m / 75ft high are the largest fresh-water sand bank and dune system in the world.
Nice walks along the dune trails and beaches for swimming and playing are all at the park. Don't expect to just drop in and camp though. The campground is extremely popular and is booked up very quickly.
This somewhat mysterious and deep lake sites high up on a hill, just a few hundred meters from Lake Ontario which is far below. With no obvious source of water, its formation and history are still a bit of a mystery.
The local first nations have a legend about it too.
- Pros:Something for everyone
- Cons:It's not a secret anymore and has become very popular in the summer months
- In a nutshell:More than old villages, shops and wineries
The cheese factory was started in 1901 by local farmers and it continues to make delicious craft cheeses. Their mild... more travel advice
Sandbanks Provincial Park has the world's largest fresh water sand bar and dune system. The park has camping and... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Picton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prince Edward County"
- "Picton, seat of 'The County'"
- "So much Wine, So Little time"
- "Wine country by the Sandbanks"
- "An Island getaway in Ontario?"
- "Cheese & Wines closer to home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Picton
- Hotels in Picton
- Transportation in Picton
- Nightlife in Picton
- Restaurants in Picton
- Shopping in Picton
- Warnings and Dangers in Picton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Picton
- 9 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Picton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Picton
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue