"Point-au-Pere - A historic place" Pointe-au-Père by GrumpyDiver
Pointe-au-Père Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 14 photos
Point-au-Pere translates to Father's Point and is a place of significant historical interest in Canada. It is an important navigation station and was the site of a lighthouse station for many years. It was also an early Marconi telegraph station, used for communications to and between ships heading up and down the St Lawrence River. It is also the point where navigation became tricky and a pilot would take over the navigation up to Quebec City, which is as far as ocean going vessels could move in the days prior to the opening of the St Lawrence Seaway.
It is also the site of the greatest shipwreck in Canadian history; the site where the Empress of Ireland went down.
The RMS Empress of Ireland went down here in 1904 after having a 4-1/2m / 14 ft hole put in her side by the Norwegian ship the SS Storstad. Over 1000 people died, but this was soon forgotten as WW I started a couple of months later.
The ship sank in about 14 minutes and listed so badly that it was pretty well impossible to launch the lifeboats. The Empress carried a cargo of silver ingots in her hold. In order to protect the site, it was Registered as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1999.
This Oberon class submarine was one of three built in the UK for the Royal Canadian Navy in the mid-1960s. It was one of three similar submarines.
It was the last of the three that was decommissioned, which happend in 2000. Instead of being sold for scrap, it was towed here and turned into a museum.
- Pros:Lots to see in a very compact area
- Cons:You have to be interested in ships and the sea to enjoy this site
- In a nutshell:Point-au-Pere a.k.a. Father Point in English
The HCMS Onandoga is a British built Oberon class diesel-electric submarine that was used by the Canadian Navy during... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Pointe-au-Père Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pointe-au-Père
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Pointe-au-Père?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pointe-au-Père
Photos in Pointe-au-PèreSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 26 reviews, 238 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue