"Myvatn Area" Mÿvatn by GrumpyDiver
Mÿvatn Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 357 photos
Much the same idea as the Blue Lagoon, for half the price, the geothermal baths at Myvatn are well worth visiting. You get the same warm. blue mineral water that is produced by a local geothermal power plant, but far smaller crowds.
The bottom of the pool is covered in a coarse, black volcanic sand, rather than the while silica sand at the Blue Lagoon. If I were to pick one of the two to visit, the baths at Myvatn would win out over the Blue Lagoon
This is a small corner on the south-eastern part of Lake Myvatn
Located at the south-western part of the lake. While they may look like volcanic craters, the way that they were formed is completely different.
A normal crater is formed where the molten magma erupts out of the ground, complete with caldera. A pseudocrater is created when hot lava hits water and the steam gererated by it causes an explosion. The hole that is left after the explosion is the pseudocrater.
- Pros:An area of Iceland with lots to see in a very compact space
- Cons:It's rather out of the way and takes some time to get there
- In a nutshell:Many geothermal formations in a very compact area
Located at the south-stern part of the lake. While they may look like volcanic craters, the way that they were formed is... more travel advice
Everybody has heard of the Blue Lagoon geothermal baths, not far from Keflavik Airport in Iceland. Well the Jarðböðin... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Mÿvatn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MÝVATN - AREA."
- "Myvatn: the meeting between water and fire."
- "Mývatn - Literally a hotspot"
- "Jumping Around Myvatn!"
- "Námafjall - boiling mud pools - more photos."
- "stunning and breathtaking!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mÿvatn
- Hotels in Mÿvatn
- Transportation in Mÿvatn
- Restaurants in Mÿvatn
- Warnings and Dangers in Mÿvatn
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fort Lauderdale
- Samut Prakan Hotels
- Región Metropolitana de Santiago
- Negeri Perlis Hotels
- Bagabag Hotels
- Byron Bay
- Province of Camarines Sur
- Muhafazat al Bahr al Ahmar
- Fuzeta Hotels
- Korblex Hotels
- Oued Zem Hotels
- Placencia Village
Badges & Stats in Mÿvatn
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (105)
Have you been to Mÿvatn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mÿvatn
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues