"Wildlife - Puffins" South Iceland by GrumpyDiver
South Iceland Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 598 photos
This has got to be the best place to see puffins when you travel the Ring Road. Just a short bit west of Vik is a puffin sactuary. Wander along the beach and look up to see the birds or head over to the wildlife preserve to see them at your level!
Best of all - it's free!
Image taken with a cheap Panasonic camera - yes you can get that close!
Just a warning to anyone that gets suckered in to going to Ingolfshoefdi to do a "haycart" ride to see the puffins.
1. The haycart is more like a cattle car which they stuff 60 to 70 people on. By the way, they charge you 3000 kroner for this.
2. What puffins? The place is a breeding ground for the Great Skua (looks like a seagull to me). There are a few puffins, but they are very hard to spot, so unless you are a birder with a passion for the Skua, don't bother.
Going to Ingolfshoefdi was the worst mistake we made in the 10 days we spent in Iceland. 2-1/2 hours plus were wasted.
Image shot with a 400mm (600 mm equiv for 35 mm).
You get taken to the top of a large cliff and get to stand close to the edge. With 60 to 70 people standing there jostling to look over the edge, I was surprised no one fell off. Warning - if you are older or not in shape, you have a long climb up a hill that must be 70 - 80 m high and covered by a black sand drift. Not easy.
You can see the intimate "hay cart" and the lovely sand hill you have to climb. I used a 80mm (120mm equivalent for 35mm) for the shot, so it's actually worse than you see in the picture.
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
South Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The south-coast of Iceland."
- "On not seeing the Northern Lights"
- "From the Glaciers to the Ocean"
- "The Surreal Glaciers..."
- "Land of Midnight Sun, Northern Lights, and more :)"
- "In awe"
- "Iceland is a cool place to visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Iceland
- Hotels in South Iceland
- Transportation in South Iceland
- Restaurants in South Iceland
- Shopping in South Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in South Iceland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Iceland
- 0 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to South Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues