"Namib-Naukluft National Park" Namib-Naukluft Park by GrumpyDiver
Namib-Naukluft Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 405 photos
With an area of almost 50,000 km² / 19,000 mi², the Namib-Naukluft is the largest game park in Africa. Much of it covers off the Namib Desert, which at some 50 million years old, is considered to be the oldest desert in the world.
Sessriem is a small settlement that includes a campground. There are some other private accomidations in the area as well. The reaon people visit Sessriem is to see the fabulous sand dunes in the area. These bright red hills of sane (the colour comes from the iron content = rust) that reach heights of over 300m / 1000ft above the desert floor.
The dunes are not right at Sessriem, but at the other end of the road. There is an accessible dune at 45 km / 30 mi from the park gate, and the famous salt pans at Deadvlea and Sousussvlei some 60 km / 38 mi from the gates.
If you camp in the park, you can visit them at sunset, when the colours are at their most beautiful, but it you don't you must exit the park at sunset. People staying in the park have an hours grace and are allowed to return a maximum of one hour after the sun goes down. Beware the wildlife on the road and the 60 km/hr speed limit!
You too can camp at this ancient rock that has been used by travelling nomands for thousands of years. There are no utilities, but there are basic outhouses, tables and garbage containers.
Sometimes you can see zebras heading for a distant waterhole.
- Pros:Absolutely stunning scenery
- Cons:It's a long drive to get there.
- In a nutshell:Splendid and isolated scenery
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Namib-Naukluft Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Namib Naukluft N.P."
- "Oops, I got myself a new addiction - DESERTS ..."
- "Namib-Naukluft Park"
- "Namib Naukluft Park"
- "The desert that's at the heart of the country"
- "Vast Dry Plain, The Namib"
- "Fabulous Dunes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Hotels in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Transportation in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Nightlife in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Restaurants in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Shopping in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Namib-Naukluft Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namib-Naukluft Park
- 0 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Namib-Naukluft Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namib-Naukluft Park
Photos in Namib-Naukluft ParkSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatineau Intro, 1 review, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Namib-Naukluft Park hotel reviews
- Sesriem Rest Camp
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- A Little Sossus Lodge
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Rostock Ritz
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Kulala Desert Lodge
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Buellsport Guest Farm
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- Namib Desert Lodge
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013