"Swakopmund - German outpost in Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Swakopmund by GrumpyDiver
Swakopmund Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 143 photos
I frankly did not really enjoy Swakopmund, but that may partly be because we were there on a weekend in low season and everything was shut down. Apparently it become a very busy place for most of December and the early part of January, when the people of Wiindhoek get out of town to escape the heat and settle down here for the school holidays. The population of Swakopmund triples in this period.
The architecture is classic early 1900's German and there are numerous interesting buildings around this small town.
Swakopmund has a terrible harbour and in an attempt to improve the loading and unloading of ships a large wooden pier was built. It was recently reconstructed / restored.
If became obsolete when Namibia was administered by South Africa after WW I and the nearby port at Walvis Bay was used for handling shipping.
There is a Sunday market for native handicrafts down near the water
- Pros:It's not too hot
- Cons:There's nothing to do
- In a nutshell:Cold and foggy town that wakes up for one month each year
On the way in to town you can make a short turn off to see the Martin Luther Museum. The guide books all refer to it as... more travel advice
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Swakopmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Up our way to Swakopmund"
- "Namibia´s summer city."
- "Swakopmund - German outpost in Africa"
- "Swakopmund, An Adrenaline Junkies Dream"
- "most famous tourist town of Namibia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swakopmund
- Hotels in Swakopmund
- Transportation in Swakopmund
- Nightlife in Swakopmund
- Restaurants in Swakopmund
- Shopping in Swakopmund
- Warnings and Dangers in Swakopmund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swakopmund
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Swakopmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swakopmund
Photos in SwakopmundSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 26 reviews, 238 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue