"Berlin" Berlin by GrumpyDiver
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,992 reviews and 15,808 photos
To me, this picture is probably the one of Berlin I will remember the most. My first trip to Berlin was the year after the Berlin Wall came down, and there was still a very signifcant difference between the east and west.
You could still see the bullet damage from WWII and the damage from the pieces where the Berlin Wall once stood.
Again, a memory. My first visit to was in 1988, the year before the Berlin Wall came down. The border between the two Germany's was scary - with the landmines, tank traps, razor wire and dog runs. Things were different in 1990, when the hangover from the reunification was just beginning.
By 2003, there was very little of the old Berlin left. A small section of the Berlin wall (my daughter and a girl she was corresponding with on MSN) are standing in front of a tiny remnant.
There was a huge wasteland between East and West Berlin before the wall came down. It did not take long afterwards for the vast empty spaces to be filled.
It's rare for a lot of open land to exist in the centre of a big city, so in 2000, the Sony Center was build on the former wasteland of Potsdammer Platz.
- Pros:One of the few European Capital cities that exceeded my expectations
- Cons:Hustle, bustle and noise - a bit raunchy - it's Berlin
- In a nutshell:Sophisticated and brash at the same time- it's Berlin
GrumpyDiver's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 233 photos, 12 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 104 photos, 7 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 87 photos, 10 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 18 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tibet Intro, 2 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 4 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Picton Intro, 9 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue