Bethlehem Transportation Tips by Oana_bic Top 5 Page for this destination
Bethlehem Transportation: 14 reviews and 23 photos
Despite being warned and told by our hotel that we should go there with a guide and get a cab to get in, we have given it a try with our rent car and managed to get in and find a decent and looking like a safe parking with some friendly locals...they have eventually also exchanged us some money and guide us a bit around...
Type: Car/Motor Home
Most entrances into and exits from the Bethlehem agglomeration to the rest of the West Bank are currently subject to Israeli checkpoints and roadblocks, with the level of access varying based on Israeli security directives. Travel for Bethlehem's Palestinian residents from the West Bank into Israeli-controlled Jerusalem is regulated by a permit-system. Acquiring such permits to enter, what in the past served in many ways as an urban anchor to Bethlehem, has become exceedingly rare since the onset of the violence surrounding the al-Aqsa Intifada, though Israel has subsequently erected a terminal for the stated-aim of easing transit between the two adjoining cities. After the Intifada's onset, Bethlehem was periodically placed under strict curfews which prevent residents from leaving their homes. Palestinians are not allowed to enter the Jewish holy site of Rachel's Tomb, which is on the outskirts of the city. Since Bethlehem and the nearby biblical Solomon's Pools lie in Area A, Israeli citizens cannot go there without a permit from the Israeli military authorities.
The construction by Israel of the West Bank barrier has had a severely negative impact on Bethlehem; politically, socially, and economically. The barrier runs along the northern side of the town's built-up area, within metres of houses in 'A'ida refugee camp on the one side, and the Jerusalem municipality on the other.
More Reviews (6)
Oana_bic's Related Pages
Bethlehem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Oh Little Town of Bethlehem...""
- "Bethlehem - little town in Palestine"
- "Behind the walls...."
- "Christmas in Bethlehem"
- "on the other side of the wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethlehem
- Hotels in Bethlehem
- Transportation in Bethlehem
- Restaurants in Bethlehem
- Shopping in Bethlehem
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethlehem
- See All...
Explore the World
- Beauvallon Hotels
- Hythe Hotels
- Tionesta Hotels
- Breaux Bridge
- Sechelt Hotels
- Marina di Grosseto
Badges & Stats in Bethlehem
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Bethlehem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethlehem
Photos in BethlehemSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 47 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Tibet Intro, 29 reviews, 89 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Havana Intro, 25 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 38 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 17 reviews, 64 photos
- Hurghada Intro, 9 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Bethlehem hotel reviews
- Sancta Maria Hotel Bethlehem
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013