"Dolores Hidalgo" Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo by JessieLang

Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 60 photos

Not a typical visit

I spent two weeks in Dolores Hidalgo (along with a dozen other people, none of whom I had met before) as a volunteer. We were with Global Volunteers, and here to assist the English teachers at the local University.

Our role was to engage the students in conversation. The students get to practice using the language, and listening to native English speakers who sound different than their teachers. The kids are very nice, polite, and appreciative. (Spanish isn't necessary to do this--in fact, not understanding it forces the students to use English, which is why we are here.)

Universidad Tecnologica del Norte de Guanajuato

We spent most of each day at UTNG during the week, going to 4-5 English classes per day. A small group of students sits with one or two volunteers and discusses a topic assigned by the teacher. On most days we have lunch in the college cafeteria.

We stayed at the Hotel Posada Las Campanas, and walked back and forth to UTNG (about a mile.)

Around the community

The school, and the community appreciates the program. Members of the English faculty took us around the city in our free time, and the hotel manager threw a barbecue for us at the end of our stay.

We visited a pottery factory owned by a relative of one of the English teachers, and learned about sandal-making from a friend of another. We were invited to a faculty party and taught salsa steps. By the end of our stay, we knew some of the kids that performed in the plaza.

• Pros:A volunteer vacation is a different perspective--you are part of the community
  • In a nutshell:Mexican independence began here
  • Last visit to Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2011

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I love this little town and surrounding areas; beautiful pics! The 'Ceramic Memorial' is called a "Tree of Life"; everyone is different, being handmade. I have a couple in my home.

JessieLang

“"Not all who wander are lost" (but I probably am)”

Badges & Stats in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo

Have you been to Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo?

Latest Activity in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo