"Dolores Hidalgo" Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo by JessieLang
Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 71 photos
I spent two weeks in Dolores Hidalgo (along with a dozen other people, none of whom I had met before) as a volunteer. We were with Global Volunteers, and here to assist the English teachers at the local University.
Our role was to engage the students in conversation. The students get to practice using the language, and listening to native English speakers who sound different than their teachers. The kids are very nice, polite, and appreciative. (Spanish isn't necessary to do this--in fact, not understanding it forces the students to use English, which is why we are here.)
We spent most of each day at UTNG during the week, going to 4-5 English classes per day. A small group of students sits with one or two volunteers and discusses a topic assigned by the teacher. On most days we have lunch in the college cafeteria.
We stayed at the Hotel Posada Las Campanas, and walked back and forth to UTNG (about a mile.)
The school, and the community appreciates the program. Members of the English faculty took us around the city in our free time, and the hotel manager threw a barbecue for us at the end of our stay.
We visited a pottery factory owned by a relative of one of the English teachers, and learned about sandal-making from a friend of another. We were invited to a faculty party and taught salsa steps. By the end of our stay, we knew some of the kids that performed in the plaza.
- Pros:A volunteer vacation is a different perspective--you are part of the community
- In a nutshell:Mexican independence began here
Jesús Gomez has been making huarache sandals for 55 years, since he was a boy. He has about 40 original designs, which... more travel advice
The hotel is inconspicuous from the street, but nice and spacious inside. The lobby walls are covered with inscriptions... more travel advice
JessieLang's Related Pages
Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Journey to Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo, Cuna de la Independencia de Méxic"
- "Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo"
- "Dolores Hidalgo, Cradle of Mexican Independence"
- "Cradle of Mexico's Independence"
- "Birthplace of Independence-page under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Hotels in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Transportation in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Restaurants in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- Shopping in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
- 9 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo
Photos in Ciudad de Dolores HidalgoSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues