"A Bit of History" Top 5 Page for this destination Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park by JessieLang
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 51 photos
With the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, France lost its other North American territory, but gained Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton Island. They settled in Louisbourg, and it became the capital of the island and it’s busiest harbor.
England declared war on France in 1744, and fighting started on Cape Breton Island soon after. The French were expecting to be attacked from the sea and had their defenses there, but the English came overland instead. The vegetation is so thick all around there, that dragging cannons through it would have been a horrible job. After a 2-month battle, the French lost and went back to France.
The English moved into Louisbourg in 1745, but didn’t fare nearly as well—they didn’t befriend the Indians, and they lacked the survival skills the French learned from them. Peace was declared in 1748; some French moved back, the English left and settled in Halifax.
War again in 1757—the British won more quickly this time, with the help of the Royal Navy. They took over Louisbourg again in 1758; left again in 1760. This time they completely destroyed the fortress so the French would have nothing to return to. It took them 8 years to destroy everything.
Today's reconstruction is accurate—the foundations of all the buildings were still there, and everything else was documented. The French were almost manic about records, and there were 5 hand-made copies of every piece of paper—Two stayed in the area, and the other 3 copies were sent to France on 3 separate ships. They had blueprints for the houses, lists of everybody’s property (for tax purposes), supply lists and military records.
Visitors can eat in the restaurants, buy bread at the bakery, and see civilians and soldiers going about their daily lives.
- Pros:Spend the day in the 18th Century
- In a nutshell:Excellent re-creation
JessieLang's Related Pages
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fortress of Louisbourg!"
- "A Bit of History"
- "Louisbourg fortress"
- "Fortress of Louisbourg, a must see!"
- "Magnificent Fortress Louisbourg"
- "Historic Louisbourg Fort"
- "Senior's bus tour of Nova Scotia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park
- Hotels in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park
- Restaurants in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park
Photos in Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues