"Virginia City, MT" Virginia City by JessieLang
Virginia City Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 63 photos
Virginia City is an old mining town that is now a tourist attraction. Most of the buildings in town are original—some now have gift shops in them; others are derelict. Two small hotels have been restored and are in operation. The theater has melodramas in the evening, but we couldn’t stay.
Gold was discovered in Alder Gulch, just outside of town, in1863. A year later, the population had reached 30,000. It was a pretty wild town. Road agents regularly held up the stagecoach and a number of miners were killed. The sheriff who was hired to clean it up turned out to be one of them, so the townspeople formed the Vigilantes. One of the many men they hung was the sheriff. We gathered these bits of history as we bounced around in a stagecoach pulled by a pair of horses.
- In a nutshell:Commercial, but interesting
Dredger mining began in 1898 and ended in 1937. Across the road from the Nevada City buildings, there is a pond with a... more travel advice
JessieLang's Related Pages
Virginia City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild Wild West"
- "Virginia City, MT"
- "How the West was Once"
- "Labor Day week in Virginia and Neveda City"
- "Step Back in time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia City
- Nightlife in Virginia City
- Restaurants in Virginia City
- Shopping in Virginia City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virginia City
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Virginia City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues