"Butte" Top 5 Page for this destination Butte by JessieLang
Butte Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 53 photos
Butte was a mining boom town. Gold was discovered in 1864. By the time it ran out, silver and copper had been discovered. Butte became the world’s leading producer of copper, and maintained that status for decades .
The Anaconda smelter, the world’s largest, was constructed in 1883. By the following year, there were 300 mines, 9 quartz mills and 4 smelters in Butte, employing 5,000 workers
The Anaconda mine produced half of the copper used by the U.S. in WWII.
The Berkeley Pit opened in 1955, and the huge open pit gradually swallowed up part of the town, including a number of ethnic neighborhoods.
All that mining money led to the construction of incredible mansions and public buildings. This historic district is well worth an afternoon wandering around looking at architecture.
- Pros:Mining history, old mansions, outdoor activities
- Cons:Name leads to jokes--it is NOT pronounced Butt.
- In a nutshell:Worth a few days
The Trolley tour takes about 2 hours, and it passed quickly. The tour is informative and fun. Our driver/tour guide, was... more travel advice
This is a 34-room Victorian mansion, built in 1888 for Copper King William A. Clark. He was very wealthy, and probably a... more travel advice
JessieLang's Related Pages
Butte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Patrick's day in Butte (like beautiful)"
- "The Ultimate Butte Page!"
- "Butte, Montana"
- "Jean's new Butte Page"
- "Sunshine64's new Butte Page"
- "Day 5: Winnipeg to Oregon--Road Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Butte
- Hotels in Butte
- Nightlife in Butte
- Restaurants in Butte
- Shopping in Butte
- Warnings and Dangers in Butte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Butte
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Butte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Butte
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues