"Amazon River cruise" Departamento de Loreto by JessieLang
Departamento de Loreto Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 422 photos
We boarded our boat in Iquitos and began our journey upriver. 20 miles upriver from Nauta (a town of 15,000 people) the Marañon and Ucayale Rivers merge, and this is where the Amazon River starts. When we reach the merge point, we take the Marañon. The headwaters of the rivers are in the Andes, about 2200 miles from the junction, and the Amazon runs another 2300 miles to the Atlantic. Eleven hundred tributaries make up the Amazon basin, which covers 40% of South America. The Amazon is a mile wide in some places.
Our journey will be about 260 miles. When tributaries meet the Amazon, the water sometimes changes color. Where the Itaya came in, the water went from black to yellow along a visible line.
The Arapaima—named for the Amazon’s largest fish—is a 24-passenger boat with a crew of 13, plus a guide and a naturalist. Alfonso, the captain, is 55 years old and has worked on riverboats for 30 years.
There are two passenger decks, and a sun deck above them. Crew quarters and a small galley are below. The draft on the boat is only 3 feet. We will stay close to the shore as we go upriver (less current there) and in the middle as we come back down.
See my travelogues and tips for more details.
Admire the giant water lilies. They only have a 4-month life—they grow for 2 months, live for another 2 months after... more travel advice
If you are on a tour, your guides will probably take you to one or more of the small villages along the river, and the... more travel advice
JessieLang's Related Pages
Departamento de Loreto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amazon River cruise"
- "Loreto, the Amazon departemento"
- "lot of trees and water"
- "Along the Amazon - another world"
- "Along the Amazon and its tributaries"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Departamento de Loreto
- Hotels in Departamento de Loreto
- Transportation in Departamento de Loreto
- Nightlife in Departamento de Loreto
- Restaurants in Departamento de Loreto
- Shopping in Departamento de Loreto
- Warnings and Dangers in Departamento de Loreto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Departamento de Loreto
- 13 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Departamento de Loreto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Departamento de Loreto
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues