"Ilha do Pico" Ilha do Pico by JessieLang
Ilha do Pico Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 39 photos
Lajes means ‘Flat Rock,’ and it is the oldest village on Pico. One of the island’s two whale factories was located here. Whaling lasted longer in Pico than anywhere else, and they didn’t completely stop until 1984.
Pico has a lot of vinyards. The wine region near Madelena is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Pros:Whaling history, wineries
- Cons:None that I saw
- In a nutshell:A lot to see
Drive along the coast looking at rocks and blowholes. There are two offshore rocks named “Standing up” and “Laying... more travel advice
Adega “A Buraca,” at São Roque has a tasting room for wine and liqueurs. They also had a nice historic display. more travel advice
JessieLang's Related Pages
Ilha do Pico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ilha do Pico"
- "A ILHA MONTANHA"
- "Pico Mountain (2351 m) - Winter Ascent"
- "PICO island"
- "Pico Island - Marvellous & Quiet"
- "Pico island - paradise on earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha do Pico
- Hotels in Ilha do Pico
- Transportation in Ilha do Pico
- Restaurants in Ilha do Pico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha do Pico
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Ilha do Pico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha do Pico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues