"Hello, and Welcome!" JessieLang's Profile
I grew up in small towns in Northern California (closer to Oregon than anything else.) For the last 40 years I've lived in the Spokane, Washington, area. I am just about 20 miles from Idaho.
I retired in 2003 after working for 15 years as Spokane's City/County Recycling Coordinator. It was a great job, especially in the earlier years, because it was a new position for the city and we were creating all our programs from scratch. Designing them was the fun part.
I'm a reader--I'm always surrounded by books. I enjoy music, especially jazz and world music. I often buy a CD or two in the countries I visit, especially from local groups I heard while there.
Travel is somewhere between a passion and an obsession...I always wanted to travel, but never could do much about it until the last 10 years or so. Now I am making up for lost time, and I love it. If the travel fund has enough in it, I'm ready to go. I have a mental list of places I have to see, but I'm also an opportunist. If a friend says "I need a roommate for... " I will probably say, "Why not?" even though it is a place I never thought about.
I don't do just one kind of vacation--it all has something to offer. I've done cruises, trains, bus tours, city stays, and volunteer vacations; and I've arrived places by camel, elephant, rickshaw, hot air balloon and dugout canoe. (I draw the line at anything resembling extreme sports--no motorcycles, ziplines, parachutes, etc.)
Petted a rhino (No, he was not in a cage)
Rode an elephant
Rode a camel
Hand-fed a giraffe
Paddled a dugout canoe
Rode on the roof of a train in Ecuador
Eaten guinea pig, paca, warthog, toasted grasshopper, mopani worm (ick!), ants, cricket, and smoked water snake (not bad!)
Swam with penguins
Floated over Cappadocia in a balloon (I’m afraid of heights!)
Flew in a glider
Walked on the Antarctic continent
Camped in the Sahara
Boated on Lake Baikal
I am somewhat “chicken” (along with old and decrepit) and some of these activities have really pushed my limits, but I don’t want to go through life regretting the things I didn’t do.
All 7 continents (Kiribati counts for Oceana); 47 countries
Panama Canal and Suez Canal
Trains: Copper Canyon (Mexico), Trans-Siberian (Mongolian Rte),and Trans-Canada
It will take a lot of time to get all the pages done. Eventually, I will have quite a few of them.
Lunch with Basaic, Spokane, 10-2-2010
Lunch with HomandEd, Miami, Oct. 2011
Lunch with Suet; dinner with Suet and her husband, Edinburgh, May 2012
Dinner with Song, Orlando, May 2013
(Hoping this section will grow!)
Personal Pages (2)
Written Aug 10, 2009
Cruising the North Atlantic
Written Jan 1, 2012
World Heritage Sites I Have Seen
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 636 Reviews
- 1,885 Photos
- 34 Countries
- 133 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
- Posted in Travel Morocco Forum "Re: Tents"
updated their Profile Page "Hello, and Welcome!"
- Commented on JessieLang's profile page
- Wrote a Review On the Ramblas in Barcelona Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "On the Ramblas"
- updated a Valencia Travel Page "Food and Festivals"
- JessieLang and SONG are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spokane Intro, 41 reviews, 47 photos
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 53 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 5 reviews, 72 photos, 9 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos
- Cusco Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Departamento de Loreto Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cartagena Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Querétaro Intro, 13 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos