"Hello, and Welcome!" JessieLang's Profile

About me

I grew up in small towns in Northern California (closer to Oregon than anything else.) For the last 40 years I've lived in the Spokane, Washington, area. I am just about 20 miles from Idaho.

I retired in 2003 after working for 15 years as Spokane's City/County Recycling Coordinator. It was a great job, especially in the earlier years, because it was a new position for the city and we were creating all our programs from scratch. Designing them was the fun part.

My interests

I'm a reader--I'm always surrounded by books. I enjoy music, especially jazz and world music. I often buy a CD or two in the countries I visit, especially from local groups I heard while there.

Travel is somewhere between a passion and an obsession...I always wanted to travel, but never could do much about it until the last 10 years or so. Now I am making up for lost time, and I love it. If the travel fund has enough in it, I'm ready to go. I have a mental list of places I have to see, but I'm also an opportunist. If a friend says "I need a roommate for... " I will probably say, "Why not?" even though it is a place I never thought about.

I don't do just one kind of vacation--it all has something to offer. I've done cruises, trains, bus tours, city stays, and volunteer vacations; and I've arrived places by camel, elephant, rickshaw, hot air balloon and dugout canoe. (I draw the line at anything resembling extreme sports--no motorcycles, ziplines, parachutes, etc.)

What I've Done

Petted a rhino (No, he was not in a cage)
Rode an elephant
Rode a camel
Hand-fed a giraffe
Paddled a dugout canoe
Rode on the roof of a train in Ecuador
Eaten guinea pig, paca, warthog, toasted grasshopper, mopani worm (ick!), ants, cricket, and smoked water snake (not bad!)
Swam with penguins
Floated over Cappadocia in a balloon (I’m afraid of heights!)
Flew in a glider
Walked on the Antarctic continent
Camped in the Sahara
Boated on Lake Baikal

I am somewhat “chicken” (along with old and decrepit) and some of these activities have really pushed my limits, but I don’t want to go through life regretting the things I didn’t do.

Where I've been

All 7 continents (Kiribati counts for Oceana); 52 countries

Panama Canal and Suez Canal; Around the 'Horn'

Trains: Copper Canyon (Mexico), Trans-Siberian (Mongolian Rte),and Trans-Canada

to be continued...

It will take a lot of time to get all the pages done. Eventually, I will have quite a few of them.

Meeting VT Friends

Lunch with Basaic, Spokane, 10-2-2010
Lunch with HomandEd, Miami, Oct. 2011
Lunch with Suet; dinner with Suet and her husband, Edinburgh, May 2012
Dinner with Song, Orlando, May 2013
(Hoping this section will grow!)

• Intro Updated Apr 2, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
JessieLang's Profile Photo

JessieLang

“"Not all who wander are lost" (but I probably am)”

Location