"Hanoi Inside Info" Hanoi by pez

Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,806 reviews and 6,210 photos

Hanoi is not Saigon

I really enjoy it here. This really is one of the most beautiful cities I've visited in Asia.

The people here are more reserved. You'll see a lot of men wearing green pith helmets made of compressed paper. The women in Hanoi are quite stunning, though don't wear ao dai (traditional outfits) as much as they do in Saigon.

In general things are less accessible to the tourist in Hanoi than Saigon, but that is changing.

Trees are everywhere. Lakes, too. Traffic is more chaotic, though at about 10PM the streets are almost abandoned. Hanoi is early to bed, early to rise: at 5AM walk around Hoan Kiem lake and you'll see thousands of people exercising.

Looking deeper

I do my best to explore what this city has to offer. If you need any advice, or any topics covered that you don't see here, please feel free to e-mail me here at VT.

Everybody who has visited me understands now why I live here.

And every last vistor wants to return.

• Pros:Beautiful, good food, sometimes great weather, very Vietnam
  • Cons:Somewhat backwards, often too humid, sometimes polluted
  • In a nutshell:A real adventure.
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2004

• Feb 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Thanks alot,PEz!For sharing your knowledge about bar in Hanoi!I used to think it is not vn'cultures,and don't acccept it!But now,gradually we embace it!But still don't like much!Hope that meet u in one of reccomended places!;-)

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 8:25 AM

the buses are nice??? i had to take a bus sometimes to get to the national university and there were literally 200 people crammed in there... not really, what i'd call "nice" ;-) your cyclo tip is great, that's one of the most awful tourist traps

• Feb 1, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Your tip re taking a cyclo is very interesting, although I would maybe agree that all the aparent agro would make it more pleasant to walk!

• Oct 23, 2005 at 8:52 PM

Wow - thanks for the great pics and advice. I would be visiting Hanoi next month!

• Jan 20, 2005 at 4:07 PM

G'day mate Great stuff , thanks, arriving 31 Jan 05 for month or so.. maybe see you at a bar !

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 12:46 AM

Pez, I believe I've seen this chap on a 3 wheeler xe om! Thanks for your advice, Pez, I didn't know he was a cheat till I read your tip.

• Dec 15, 2004 at 2:38 PM

have just come back from Hanoi and I saw the tortoise myself and got some pictures. The locals did not think it was very well and thats why it was spending so much time grabbing air from the surface. It surprised me how big it was.

• Nov 29, 2004 at 4:16 AM

Always great to hear from someone who lives in the actual place. Thanks mate.

• florry's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2004 at 4:29 AM

very nice pages...greetings from ireland..:}

• Aliceinhn's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 6:19 PM

Hey, I'm living in Hanoi but it's so nice to see your page about my HN. Thanks a lot.

pez

“wherever you go, there you are”

Badges & Stats in Hanoi