" Timor trouble soon over??? " Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor by Yiannis2000
East Timor Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 480 photos
Timor Lorosae, as East Timor is called by its people, declared its formal independence on the 20th of May 2002. Its formal name is now Timor Leste, in Portuguese. Timor has not developed its infrastructure yet, its people are strugling to heal past wounds, but it offers amazing experiences to the determined travellers that reach it. Lately- May 2006- a wave of violent riots rocked Dili but a new government led by Nobel Peace Laureate Ramos-Horta seems to have stabilised the situation.
Less than a million people inhabit the eastern half of the Timor island, that makes the country of East Timor. The western half still belongs to Indonesia, for some tips on West Timor check my Kupang page...
For general data on East Timor try this Tourismo
In 2005 about 3,000 were estimated to be actual travellers or tourists, with the remainder(over 90% of visitors) being military, media, aid related etc. Timor Leste currently offers just one four star hotel and this, included with other lower category hotels, means there is a total of just 1,500 rooms for travellers to choose from.
In an attempt to spread the word of what the raw beauty of Timor Leste has to offer, officials this year attended three major trade shows - the ITB in Berlin, the BTL in Lisbon and the PATA Travel Mart in Hong Kong. Participation at these events was made possible largely thanks to support from Portugal, Macau, Thailand and other industry partners.
Timor Leste's largest obstacle in attracting more tourists does not come from the question of security, but instead from accessibility. Currently there are only two airlines which fly to Timor Leste, Merpati and Air North. Merpati currently flies from Bali four times a week and will be increasing this to daily in the near future. Air North flies out of Darwin to Timor Leste 11 times per week.
Officials from Timor Leste are already in talks with other carriers, including low cost airlines in Indonesia and Singapore's Silk Air.
All travellers to Timor Leste receive a 30 days visa on arrival except Portugese nationals who receive a 90 days exemption.
- Pros:Not ready for mainstream tourism
- Cons:Not ready for maistream tourism, dangerous these days
- In a nutshell:I left my heart there
A good online source for news about East Timor, the country and its people! Go to... more travel advice
If you visit Timor Lorosae, try to visit TUTUALA, the last village at the eastern tip of the island, it is situated at... more travel advice
Yiannis2000's Related Pages
East Timor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T I M O R - L E S T E : The Unexplored Land"
- "A nation under construction"
- "Yes, Tourists do come to Timor"
- " Timor trouble soon over??? "
- "TIMOR LESTE"
- "Beautiful and Rugged"
- "East Timor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in East Timor
- Hotels in East Timor
- Transportation in East Timor
- Nightlife in East Timor
- Restaurants in East Timor
- Shopping in East Timor
- Warnings and Dangers in East Timor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in East Timor
- 18 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to East Timor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Timor
- Commented on one of DSwede's East Timor travel pages
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Travelling to Iceland at Easter"
- Wrote a Review Fresh travel link from Germany (in english) in East Timor Off The Beaten Path
- created a East Timor Travelogue "EAST Timor today launches its 1st national airline"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Languages of East Timor"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 39 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos, 6 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katerini Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Odessa Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kerch Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgrade Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues