"The Balkan capital of Greece!" Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki by Yiannis2000
Thessaloniki Travel Guide: 642 reviews and 1,933 photos
Thessaloniki is one of the oldest cities in Europe! It is the city I have worked and lived the last seven years, when I returned from Norway.
Thess@ became part of modern Greece just 90 years ago. At that time Greeks were a minority in a town with tens of thousands Jews, Armenians, Slavs, Bulgarians and Turks, to mention just the major groups. Unfortunately few traces of its multicultural past remain to be enjoyed by the modern visitor, great fires devastated the- mainly jewish- center of town in 1917.
But Thess@ is a modern city as well! Walk in the center and choose one of hundreds Cafes, bars, clubs, tavernas or restaurants, they are always crowded- the 70.000+ students in town help to that. Over 7.000 people work in the above mentioned places. Several of my foreign friends have just stopped over at the main railway station and complained the city seemed dull to them. They should have spent a bit more time wandering around!
Thess@ used to be the most important center in the southern Balkans for centuries and remains an important trade and travel humb. It's a town more than 2300 years old, with some few ancient ruins and lots of bysantine churches . After the wars in ex-Yugoslavia Thess@ is the base of the European Union's Balkan reconstruction agency. The atmosphere of history and the variety of the peoples that have shaped this area is still to be felt... Just visit the old walls above the centre and you will notice...
Thessaloniki was the centre of a thriving jewish community for many centuries. Few remain after IIWW, but there is an important museum in the heart of the city, the old jewish center, exhibiting their important contributions to the city and their dramatic history.
Thessas suburbs maintain a strong oriental flavour as the people there came as refugees from Asia Minor, two generations ago; they are also the place where the oriental Pontic Greek language is still spoken by hundreds of thousands of people; a significant proportion of younger Pontians also command Pontic fairly well (with strong influences by Modern Greek).
Recommended reading: "Twice a stranger: the mass explulsions that forged Greece and Turkey" by B. Clark
- Pros:Cosy atmosphere, proximity to the sea, excellent mix of Balkan and Anatolian People.
- Cons:Chaotic parking & driving conditions, corrupt local government...
- In a nutshell:The best 12-lettered city of Greek Macedonia!
Located just 100 km south of Thessaloniki, Olympos is an extremely pleasant and easy mountain to hike (on summertime... more travel advice
Moni Lazariston was built in 1886 by the monks of Saint Paul Vincent battalion, who became famous from their... more travel advice
- See All Ladadika out of fashion....
- See All No good service, least clean in town...
- See All Jewish Museum
- Orthodox church in nothern Greece
Yiannis2000's Related Pages
Thessaloniki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "3 days in Thessaloniki"
- "The Balkan capital of Greece!"
- "The Jewel of the Balkans"
- "Thessaloniki, her White Tower"
- "Yassou Vre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thessaloniki
- Hotels in Thessaloniki
- Transportation in Thessaloniki
- Nightlife in Thessaloniki
- Restaurants in Thessaloniki
- Shopping in Thessaloniki
- Warnings and Dangers in Thessaloniki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thessaloniki
- 39 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 113 Forum posts
- 163 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Thessaloniki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thessaloniki
- updated a Thessaloniki Travel Page "The Balkan capital of Greece!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Balkan capital of Greece!"
- Commented on one of julia79's Thessaloniki travel pages
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Travelling to Iceland at Easter"
- Wrote a Review Ladadika out of fashion.... about Local cuisine in Thessaloniki Restaurants
Photos in ThessalonikiSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thessaloniki Intro, 39 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos, 6 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katerini Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Odessa Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kerch Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgrade Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues