"ANCONA" Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona by Pinat

Ancona Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos

PEACEFUL CITY OF MARCHE

My first visit to Ancona was a random student visit. I was travelling with some friends with a rental car. We couldn't find a decent place to stay with our student budgets and were advised to go to Ancona and luckily we went. I don't remember the name of the hostel we stayed at but it was the best hostel I'd stayed at in Italy. We were just passing by, coming from Trieste aiming at Roma so Ancona was not that interesting at the time so we just spent a few hours in the city.

I was back in the city in May 2009 to find a high-school penfriend of mine. We'd been penfriends since late 1990s and never had the chance to meet. We finally did last month and this time my dear friend, Francesca was so kind to show me the beauties of Ancona. I again had just one day but a more efficient one this time.

Maybe it is the port reminded me of the port in my hometown, Izmir, or maybe it is the sunny weather I found after chilly spring days of Ankara, maybe it is the friendship of Francesca but now I know that I want to revisit this city.

• Pros:Feels like home
  • Cons:Forgotten/not known by many
  • Last visit to Ancona: May 2009
  • Intro Written Jun 5, 2009

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Very nice that you met your penfriend and got to see a lovely town. Looks like a very nice trip!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Pinar, lovely little page with brilliant photos of Ancona. Port cities are always fascinating, aren't they?

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Interesting Ancona page with lovely photographs! Attractions that attract us are Fontana del Calamo, Piazza del Plebiscito, the Mole and the War Memorial. The Port and Numana simply look amazing! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 12:36 AM

A nice destination. Great tips here. SL :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Wonderful pics! Looks like you had a lot of fun at Ancona and I would love to also have my pic taken by the sign saying Ancona....but I'll be jumping!Norman :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Oh, I should plan one day in Ancona when I get back to Umbria this autumn. Ports are fascinating :-))

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

nice, I wonder at what time you took the picture of corso Stamira as I have never seen it so deserted.

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Looks a nice city:)

Pinat

“Be the change you want to see in the world!”

Badges & Stats in Ancona