Gorizia Things to Do Tips by Pinat Top 5 Page for this destination
Gorizia Things to Do: 21 reviews and 57 photos
In my opinion, it is the most exquisite cathedral in Gorizia. The construction of this church was started in mid-1600s and the masterpiece, with unique onion-shaped domes, was completed in mid-18th century. The aisle leading to the main altar is divided into small side chapels, each decorated with interesting murals.
Address: Piazza della Vittoria
Inside the synagogue (Pic from the web)
The synagogue of Gorizia was destroyed during World War II and later reopened in 1947 by Jewish American soldiers stationed in the town. It was remodeled in 1984 is currently an oratory named after Abraham Vita Reggio and home to the Gorizia Central European Institute of Hebrew studies. The museum next door is often referred to as "Little Jerusalem on the river Isonzo", and shows plaques commemorating historical events and people from this small community.
Castello di Gorizia
Castello di Gorizia (Gorizia Castle) is from the 11th century along with a chapel a few years later. Once the centre of administrative activity, today it is the main tourist attraction of the town. It is in the old part of the city with houses just as old. It is made of stone and even has dungeons.
The castle is furnished with medieval furniture, armoury, musical instruments, paintings and frescos. It is surrounded with trees, pasture, along with natural and cobblestone trails. Along the sides it has a very long hallway with windows all along side it to view the country side nearby and vineyards. You can also climb up the commanding towers of the castle if you want to experience the most breath-taking view of the city.
This is the first piazza you will see in Gorizia if you come by train as the central railway station is located here. Piazza Transalpina is of great significance to both Gorizia and Nova Goricia. When the town was divided, the railway station went to Nova Goricia while the hotel of the railway station fell on the side of Italy. Since 2004, there are no more boundaries and only a row of flowerpots sits along where once the boundary wall had been.
Pinat's Related Pages
Gorizia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorizia, Gorica, Görz: three souls for one town"
- "GORIZIA OR GORICA?!?"
- "Gorizia Italia - Slovenia ?"
- "A Divided City No Longer"
- "GORICA - NOVA GORICA"
- "Boarder crossing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gorizia
- Transportation in Gorizia
- Restaurants in Gorizia
- Warnings and Dangers in Gorizia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Hotels
- Wellawaya Hotels
- Stroudsburg Hotels
- Megler Hotels
Badges & Stats in Gorizia
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Gorizia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorizia
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tokat Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Famagusta Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friuli-Venezia Giulia Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Kastamonu Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos