"AMASRA" Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra by Pinat

Amasra Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 255 photos

So Close, So Far

If you live in Ankara and if you are a sea-lover, normally you'd end up visiting Amasra at least once a year. Either I am a strange sea-lover or the crowds eager to reach a seaside kind of suffocate me but I've been to Amasra only once during my 13-year stay in Ankara. It was two years ago when we'd decided to do our big Black Sea trip. We started with Amasra because I had a kind of social pressure on me: People getting surprised, asking me questions about why I still haven't been there. I just wanted to get rid of it.

We left Ankara in late afternoon. On average it takes three hours by car/bus. Maybe it was this very fact that kept me away from Amasra in all these years. I'm from the coast: I walk to reach sea, I don't drive for three hours... Anyway, we arrived after the sun set via Bartin road.

Our journey was not like driving down a mountain road but it was more like travelling on the back of a curled snake. It was a bit dark and we were unable to see the sea. Then suddenly there was Amasra, standing on the shore like a long ship with all of its lights shining on the harbour. We quickly found our hotel and went to sleep immediately.

The next morning I awoke to the sound of the waves and felt as if I were a voyager on ship Amasra:) It was the town that became a passion for Princess Amastris, its name-giver who followed the sea trade routes and longed for her shores and I was so wrong about all the things I'd thought of her.

• Pros:The nearest seaside from Ankara
  • Cons:Overpopulated at the weekends by those coming from inner land
  • In a nutshell:Such a pretty town on the Black Sea coast!
  • Last visit to Amasra: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2009

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Thank you for this virtual visit of Amasra. I must admit I did not even knew the name but will now remember for a travel in Turkey.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I just love the way you write. Very interesting reading and lovely tips;-)

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Hi, very nice page to read with good tips and pics.

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Keh keh. Good pages. :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Yes, this is all off-the-beaten-path to me, but it looks like a really nice area. No wonder so many people go there on weekends. Great that there are so many good fish restaurants.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Pinar, fantastic little page about this Turkish gem. Especially your intro photo looks brilliant.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Nice page. Just to share, In Malay language, "asmara" means romance while "asrama" means hostel.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM

great page pinar. i was in amasra myself a few years ago when i did a bicycle trip along the black sea coast and thought the town was obsolutely wonderful.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Wonderful Amasra page with lovely photographs! Amasra Castle and Kurucasile certainly look amazing. Tavsan Island, Cekiciler Bazaar and Cakraz Beach indeed look interesting to visit and explore! ~ho & pang

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 4:14 AM

I see you are busy again :)

Pinat

“Be the change you want to see in the world!”

Badges & Stats in Amasra