"BIRGI" Birgi by Pinat
Birgi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
I remember my mum coming home happily after her sewing class to give me the big news: That we were going to Birgi on Sunday. We were surprised and pissed off. Never heard of the village and we both had more interesting things to do on Sunday, including sleeping all day long. I remember my mum getting mad and eventually we rose and shone on an early Sunday morning. This was in late 1990s.
Birgi is a town (similar to a giant museum) situated on the slopes of Mount Bozdag. The Sariyer River divides the town in two. It is a quite small town (of some thousands) and located in the district of Odemis.
If you want to see old Ottoman mansions, bazaars, baths, coffeehouses and crafts, Birgi is the place to go for a different taste.
- Pros:Like a giant open air museum...
- Cons:It's been discovered by many already...
- In a nutshell:Quick get-away from Izmir centre
The mansion was built in 1760s by a wealthy local merchant named Tahir Aga of the Cakir family. There is a waiting room... more travel advice
The houses of Birgi are mostly built of stone with wooden roofs and ceilings. They are generally hidden behind... more travel advice
Pinat's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Birgi
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Birgi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birgi
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tokat Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Famagusta Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friuli-Venezia Giulia Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Kastamonu Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos