"BIRGI" Birgi by Pinat

Birgi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos

LIKE A GIANT MUSEUM

I remember my mum coming home happily after her sewing class to give me the big news: That we were going to Birgi on Sunday. We were surprised and pissed off. Never heard of the village and we both had more interesting things to do on Sunday, including sleeping all day long. I remember my mum getting mad and eventually we rose and shone on an early Sunday morning. This was in late 1990s.

Birgi is a town (similar to a giant museum) situated on the slopes of Mount Bozdag. The Sariyer River divides the town in two. It is a quite small town (of some thousands) and located in the district of Odemis.

If you want to see old Ottoman mansions, bazaars, baths, coffeehouses and crafts, Birgi is the place to go for a different taste.

• Pros:Like a giant open air museum...
  • Cons:It's been discovered by many already...
  • In a nutshell:Quick get-away from Izmir centre
  • Intro Written Jun 25, 2009

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

What a beautiful picture of the kid looking out the window..it's postcard perfect...and interesting story about the mansion with two wives - I hope the wives got along...Norman :)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Lovely houses of Birgi. Safak looks like a nice place to have a cup of coffee, I love murals!

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Awesome page - need to remember this when I get to Izmir again!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Interesting page with lovely photos. That Cakiraga mansion looks very luxurious. A neat arrangement regarding his two wives!

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Hope we'll see alive some of remote Turkey you present by your VT pages :-) All of the Turkish names sounds very familiar...

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM

I wish I could take people pics here one day!!!! Do people get offended if I pointed my camera to them????

Pinat

“Be the change you want to see in the world!”

Badges & Stats in Birgi