"TIRE" Tire by Pinat
Tire Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 10 photos
Apollo, the son of Zeus and Leto, the twin brother of Artemis, is the archer-god of medicine and healing, light, truth, archery and also a bringer of death-dealing plague; as the leader of the Muses and director of their choir, he is a god of music and poetry.
Apollo used to entertain himself playing the lyre on Mount Tmolos (today Bozdag) overlooking the plain of the Kücük Menderes River. The god was convinced that his music was the best in beauty. But the shepherd Marsyas, who played his flute while watching over his flocks on the same mountain, was also a skilled musician.
One day Apollo decided that two musicians were too many for one mountain, and invited Marsyas to compete with him before a panel of judges. When both musicians had finished playing and it was time to judge between them, only King Midas of Phrygia voted for Marsyas. Apollo was so angry with the king's decision that he declared him to be ignorant of music and turned his ears into those of a donkey. Then, he had the poor shepherd flayed alive.
About two thousand years ago a sculptor portrayed Marsyas suffering the torment of this dreadful punishment. Today this statue can be seen in the modest little museum at Tire.
Around an hour away from Izmir and sited 80 km to the south-east, the Aegean town of Tire stands at the very base of the Aydin mountains and has a number of worthy attractions.
Tire actually boasts the largest town market in the whole of Turkey, which takes place each Tuesday. The Old Quarter of Tire is full of interest, while the cuisine is not to be missed, with the city's delicious kebabs and meatballs being something of a local delicacy. The kebaps are so delicious that some locals from Izmir drive 80 km to eat them at the weekends.
Kaplan Restaurant is in Kaplan Village, 4 km from Tire. It is famous for not only Tire meatballs or the dessert with... more travel advice
It is one of the oldest restaurants in Tire. It was founded by Haci Baba and today is run by his sons. You can taste all... more travel advice
Pinat's Related Pages
Tire Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tire
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tire
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sivas Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Izmir Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Tokat Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Famagusta Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasya Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Friuli-Venezia Giulia Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Kastamonu Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos