"TOKAT" Tokat by Pinat

Tokat Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 40 photos

Never Thought I'd See You One Day

The city of Tokat, I'm sure not many people have seen this city (or even aware of this city) in the world. I never thought I'd go there one day but I ended up there more than a couple of times.

It all started in summer 2007 when one of our bestfriends was assigned to Tokat to do his military service for 6 months. I didn't even know the exact location of this city on the Turkish map but then realized it was not that far away from Sivas where my husband's parents live. It was our bestfriend at the end and I haven't done any military service but believe me it's not a great experience in Turkey. Actually our friend was lucky to be assigend to a little, peaceful and a really religious city in the Black Sea Regions of Turkey.

During his military service, we went there as often as possible to visit him at the weekends so that's ho I ended knowing sth of Tokat:)

Another great thing was the excitement we get when we were driving from Sivas to Tokat: You pass a wide wild area where you can see eagles and hawks flying and hunting: Kind of scary when you see a hawk hunting a rabbit but it was a point in my life when I wanted to be a bird so as to have an bird's eye view of the region.

One more thing I need to add about this city: I guess I've seen almost all the historical parts. It's worth stressing because normally one doesn't spend that much time in Tokat. We managed to see almost everything cuz museums and historical areas were the only places our soldier friend was allowed to enter freely. Certain cafes and restaurants were forbidden for the soldiers so we ended up visiting every historical piece.

• Pros:Far from the madding crowd
  • Cons:Very delicious kebap!
  • In a nutshell:A nice place to stop by for lunch on the way to Sivas or Amasya
  • Last visit to Tokat: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2009

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Another place to visit in Turkey. Nice page.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM

i never heard of the town, but it looks really nice.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Nice page on a less known town in Turkey. Few places I would like to see here, like the caves and Latifoglu Konagi, always like having a look in these old homes

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The kebab looks exotic. SL :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Oh wow, would love to see the Balliza Cave! Another awesome page ...bridges are also so nice...Norman :)

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 6:42 AM

Great page, Pinar! Thanks for preparing such a lovely page about the city I was born. You made me homesick.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Welcome to VT! Holy cow--you have been busy writing and uploading! Well done! Cheers, Ed.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM

A long trip around Turkey is high onb my wish list - now I have a new place to add to it. Tokat looks charming and that kepap sounds delicious! leyle

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 10:07 AM

A beautiful little page on Tokat and it's attractions! I loved your Off-Beaten-Path tips and that dish of Tokat Kebap sounds delicious! I'm glad you like driving in wild areas - I do to and just finished one in western Canada.

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM

What a great place. We have started to "discover" Turkey just some time ago, although we share quite a lot of the history. It is great, and the mosques are so different form our previous perception... Cave is enchanting…

Pinat

“Be the change you want to see in the world!”

Badges & Stats in Tokat