"Third largest city in Syria" Hims by Robin020
Hims Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 24 photos
Is the third largets city in Syria with the population of 1,30000,
Its old name is Emesa and it comes form Greek.A small Greek community still live in the city of Homs.
The main street in Homs is called Shukri al Quwatli street where, you can find many low priced restaurants that serve Falafel and local cuisin also in the street you can see the famous clock tower.
As been an old city in Homs many houses in the Old City of Homs have been renovated and turned into restaurants specializing in Levantine cuisine. Most notable of these is Beit al-Agha restaurant.
Homs has large train station that operates daily to Damas and Aleppo.
There is also main bus station at Hama street that will take to other parts of Syria as well as to Turkey,Jordan and Lebanon.
The city itself is famous its ancient mosques and churches. Homs is famous for its historical roofed souks. These consist of a complex maze of narrow streets and covered commercial alleys.
Homs landmarks are the Krak des Chevaliers and Citadel of Salah Ed-Din. Other landmarks include the Great Mosque of al-Nuri. Originally a pagan temple dedicated to El-Gabal, it was consecrated as the Church of Saint John The Khalid ibn al-Walid Mosque.
The Um al-Zennar Church ("Church of the Virgin's Girdle") was built in 1852
The Citadel of Homs is situated on one of the largest urban tells of Syria. It has been archaeologically neglected because of military occupation until recent years.
- Pros:Friendly people,beautiful city,relaxing,safe,ancient city.Authentic
- Cons:None so far.
Robin020's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Hims
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Hims?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hims
Top 10 Pages
- Aleppo Intro, 94 reviews, 232 photos
- Damascus Intro, 58 reviews, 130 photos
- Fes Intro, 25 reviews, 104 photos
- `Afrin Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 25 reviews, 97 photos
- Dubai Intro, 25 reviews, 88 photos
- Toronto Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos
- Amman Intro, 30 reviews, 65 photos
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 25 photos
- Casablanca Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos