Dublin Off The Beaten Path Tips by Lochlainn
Dublin Off The Beaten Path: 295 reviews and 357 photos
There is a beautifully replanted 18th century garden adjoining the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham (Modern Art Gallery) that many visitors fail to spot, and many visitors to Dublin Zoo are blissfully unaware that the Peoples Garden is situated right next to it. Those traumatised by the incarcerated creatures in one can revive their sensibilities by feeding the freer varieties on view in the other - and without the distraction of too many of the humanoid variety disturbing the peace and solitude there.
On a rainy day (they do occur in Dublin!) and if one is tempted to sample refreshments of the alcoholic variety, one can amuse oneself by visiting the Dawson Lounge on Dawson Street - reputed to be Dublin's smallest pub. Locating it is difficult as it is accessed through what appears to be a 'normal' door sandwiched between two Georgian edifices (on your right as you approach the Green) and the pub itself is situated down a perilously steep stairs. The trick is to look up as you navigate the footpath along Dawson Street and locate the protruding advertisement for Heineken Lager. The door beneath is your man! One tip though - don't bring a coachload of colleagues with you, unless you're into sequential socialising! Another nice pub is Bowe's on Fleet Street - literally a minute from Temple Bar but a million miles away in terms of overpriced, overcrowded and overrated drinking establishments (and you might actually meet some Irish people there!). Nice staff - and that always means more than the decor in my book. Speaking of books - the Dublin Writers' Workshop have their meetings there too (members only may attend but at least it shows that the pub has its heart in the right place!)
Me jewel and darlin' Dublin
... Dublin is a city that still rewards more than most the adventurous traveller who is willing to deviate from the path chosen by the travel agents and commercial guide books. It pays to have a keen sense of history, but it is equally rewarding for those who merely crave an ambience found all too infrequently in capital cities; one where the individual still reigns, the point of life is to enjoy it while you still have it, and where the city is more than a backdrop to life's vicissitudes - it is as much a character in life's drama as you or I.
Bachelor's Walk at night
Bibliophiles and coffee lovers may appreciate the small cafe situated upstairs in The Winding Stairs bookshop on the quays, just up from Bachelors Walk where one can both browse and imbibe one's purchases simultaneously - just be sure you apply the correct activity to the appropriate purchase, paper is quite indigestible I find!
If you're into quiet oases of calm when visiting a bustling city Dublin has some lovely ones that many do not know about. Two public parks are even unknown to the majority of Dubliners but are well maintained and both right in the city centre! One, the Iveagh Gardens - once the site of a great trade exhibition in the 1800s - is situated at the rear of the old National University, now the National Concert Hall on Earlsort Terrace. Access to the park is off Harcourt Street. The other is situated at the rear of St Kevins Technical College and the adjoining church on Kevin Street. Both are literally 5 minutes walk from St Stephens Green, which on a warm summers' day can begin to resemble the Black Hole of Calcutta especially as the office workers descend from their eyries at lunchtime.
More Reviews (50)
- See All We killed the meal ourselves sir ...
- See All Flea Markets and Steet Traders
- See All Drinking
- See All A gentleman's sport played by ruffians...
- See All A poem that sezitall!
Lochlainn's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "Dirty old town"
- "The GREAT city of Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wind River Hotels
- Sacile Hotels
- Key Colony Beach Hotels
- Xiliu Hotels
- Stewart Island
- Great Inagua Island
- Inner Suburbs
- Kanab Off The Beaten Path
- Shawinigan Off The Beaten Path
- Cradle Mountain-Lake Saint Clair National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Dahlonega Off The Beaten Path
- Rouen Off The Beaten Path
- Twin Inns
- Skärgården (Stockholm Archipelago)
- Hannover Off The Beaten Path
- Oregon City Off The Beaten Path
- Provincie Zeeland Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 54 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 55 Forum posts
- 250 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Oh Lord won't you buy me...."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lucan Village"
- updated a Dublin Travelogue "Begrudgers guide to Dublin (under deconstruction)"
- Wrote a Review We killed the meal ourselves sir ... about FXB's in Dublin Restaurants
- Commented on one of IrishFem's Dublin travel pages
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Split Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Europe 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Zadar Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Celje Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Regensburg Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Dublin hotel reviews
- Ormond Quay Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- St George
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Maple Hotel
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Griffith House
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Uppercross House Hotel
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Fifty Five Park Avenue
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Avondale House B&B
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013
- 739 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- O'Donoghue's Dublin
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Paddy's Palace
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Best Western Royal Dublin Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
- Annagh House
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Clarion Airport
- 498 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Kilmainham Jail- 67 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Trinity College- 137 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Guinness Brewery- 141 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Ha'penny Bridge- 51 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Temple Bar- 50 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Castle- 107 Reviews, 169 Photos
- St Stephen's Green- 59 Reviews, 117 Photos
- Christ Church Cathedral- 89 Reviews, 152 Photos
- Jameson Distillery- 41 Reviews, 76 Photos
- St Patrick's Cathedral- 52 Reviews, 116 Photos
See All Dublin Things to Do