"Nagarparkar - Last Town in South Eastern Pakistan" Nagar Parkar by Mozumbus

Nagar Parkar Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 49 photos

Karachi to Nagar Parkar

Nagarprakar can be rightly described as the last town in the Southern Pakistan – remote and away from the civilization. From my hometown Karachi, it is a ~500 km drive across the Thar Desert and that too on a really less traveled road.

With respect to the geopolitics the town enjoys a unique positioning as it pierces deep into the Indian states of Gujrat and Rajasthan along the rather deserted section of Pakistan – India border. More interestingly, Nagarparkar and the adjoining areas are dominated by Hindus, a rare proposition in a country which is predominantly Muslim; ~99%!

Nagarparkar is virtually landlocked; on one hand (West) it is separated by the Thar Desert from the rest of Pakistan - the country which it lies in geographically - while on the other (East), the border drawn in 1947 as a result of Indian Partition separates it from the rest of the India, the country to which it shares the cultural and religious roots.

Geologically speaking also, the town is no less than a wonder as unlike the rest of the desert, it has greener surroundings with irrigable land thanks to the water coming from the next door mystical Karoonjhar Hills.

I wanted to explore Nagarparkar and Thar Desert since long, but could never find enough information or companions for undertaking such a long journey. The farthest I could go was Umerkot, which is situated at the brink of the desert and that experience only enhanced my appetite to explore the life in Thar more closely.

But finally I got the opportunity (March, 2013) when Farrukh and his crazy CS Karachi gang came up with a rather ambush like plan. Ideally, I would like a lengthier trip, with more time to absorb the local life, however, I settled for the available chance and quickly confirmed my seat in the coaster.

During this whirlwind journey I managed to have a bird eye view of the life in Thar Desert and around Nagarparkar:
= Jain Temple – an ancient place of worship
= Naukot Fort – a gigantic 200 years old structure at the brink of the desert
= Gaddi Bhit – a sand dune overlooking Mithi city
= Sand adventure – tractor pulling our coaster out of the deep sand ~10 km from the Indian border!
= Rural surprise – ditching the group, having goat milk live and then riding the racing bull-cart

For details and photographs please see: Karachi to Nagarparkar

• Last visit to Nagar Parkar: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2013

• besal's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I had long been planning to go there, however could not find information, time, or how to get there. Your trip now has given me an impetus to now travel in that direction. Will definitely get in touch with you when I do plan. Great trip and tips, especially your blog.

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo
      Apr 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Thanks. I was also planning to go there for long time and finally got the opportunity. Imo, its easier and simpler than I expected, especially when compared to the rest of Sind. I will be putting more details here soon inshallah.

• besal's Profile Photo
      Apr 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Great! Do mention reasonable place to find where one can stay.

Mozumbus

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)”

Badges & Stats in Nagar Parkar

Have you been to Nagar Parkar?