"A Historic Town on the Sound" Rye by LadyRVG

Rye Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 192 photos

I have been visiting Rye since I was just a baby in my carriage. Rye is a nice town on the Long Island sound that has some beautiful beaches, parks, shopping, restaurants, historic houses, mansions and of course the Historic Landmark of Rye Playland.

Growing up we would either drive or take the train to Rye for a day at the Beach, Rye Playland or for some ice skating. I was a figure skater and my ice times and practices were very early in the morning at the Rye Ice Rink. Rye Playland was fun for me as achild and I loved the Haunted Mansion, The Old Mill, the Octopus and the Carousel. As I got older I took my little brother and various younger cousins for their fun at Rye Playland.

The town of Rye has some nice shops and restuarants. We often walk through town to shop or to gran a bite to eat at Seaside Johnnie's, the Rye Grill or the Ruby's Oyster Bar. It still is a cute little town with a cozy feel to it. Yes, there are the big mansions and snobby types you'd find in any affluent town but for the most part Rye is a nice place to visit.*

The Beaches at Rye are not up to par with the beaches of Montauk, The Hamptons or the Jersey shore but I enjoy their simplicity. Chris and I enjoy our strolls along Rye and Oakland Beach and enjoying a nice meal or drink to complete the evening. Rye tends to get too crowded in the summer months with stragglers from other parts of Westchester County and NYC; so we tend to take our walk later in the evening in the Summer. I particularly prefer the beach in the Spring and Fall when the crowds are long gone and the calm returns.

• Pros:Walking the beach with my Baby.....
  • Cons:Congested with people in the summer
  • In a nutshell:Our Lovely Beach Strolls...
  • Last visit to Rye: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2009

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Always nice to see pics of the two of you together...more happy days! Norman :)

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 6:17 AM

looks nice - wonder if it is named after the Rye in england where you compatriot henry james wrote his masterpieces

LadyRVG Used To Live Here!

LadyRVG

“You know it's love when forever is not long enough.”

Badges & Stats in Rye