"Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new" Shanghai by lindyz

Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,162 reviews and 8,240 photos

First impressions ...

On our plane trip from Guilin to Shanghai, it was my first and only time with a window seat, and I took full advantage of that. I knew Shanghai was a BIG city but I never knew exactly how BIG until we were coming in to land. The weather was nice, the sky was clear and you could see for miles and miles. I took a lot of pics of what I saw out that window, and it was then that I knew for sure that I was going to like Shanghai! A lot of travellers dont particularly like big cities, BUT I DO! Not only do they have all the modern cons to offer, they are also jam-packed with everything ancient and historical.

Our Hotel in Shanghai was a perfect blend of the old and the new. I really liked the Metropole, a Hotel built in the 1930's with history and a certain old world charm about it.

Shanghai was also easy to get around it, via either taxi, the subway or by simply walking. We did sooooooo much walking in China that I came home 2kg lighter! Taxis were in abundance and, even though the drivers spoke very little english, they were courteous and fair. We caught the subway several times to Xinyang Markets and twice across to Pudong to see the amazing towers and buildings there.

That is my next heading ...

The amazing heights of Pudong ...

Tracy and I were constantly mesmerised and amazed at the enormity of Pudong. Seen either from the Bund area, or from the ground in Pudong or from one of the 3 main tall buildings in Pudong, either way you will be blown away.

The 3 main buildings I was encouraged to concquer were:-

1. Oriental Pearl Tower
2. Jin Mao Tower
3. The newest addition to the family - The Shanghai World Financial Centre.

And ... yes indeed ... we did concquer all 3 of them, and enjoyed every moment of it. Apart from being way up in the clouds at times and not being able to see a thing! We went up the second highest observation deck at the Pearl Tower and were lucky to be there on a clear day. We went up to the 100th floor of the SWFC - but were up in the clouds and saw very little. We also had a drink or 2 at the Cloud 9 Skylounge in the Jin Mao Tower on the 87th floor, which is reported to be the highest bar in the world.

Once again, we were drinking up in the clouds - up in heaven!

The ancient Shanghai ...

I guess the only historical point of interest we visited in Shanghai was the Yu Yuan Gardens and Bazaar, a place we both thoroughly enjoyed. The gardens and the buildings, even the pathways, were very tranquil, serene and beautiful to look at and also to photograph. It was kind of a weird feeling to be walking through the peaceful gardens, knowing you were close to the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world.

I am told that Shanghai has a population of around 20 million people in inner Shanghai and approximately 60 million in the entire Shanghai province.

That is a rather large amount of people. But, when you were inside the Yu Yuan Gardens, you didnt feel like you were anywhere that busy and crowded, it was quiet and peaceful. Plus, there was absolutely fantastic shopping in the surrounding shops! Unfortunately, we left it until our second last day in Shanghai to visit, we really should have gone there first!

My memories of Shanghai are all good ones, many funny ones, and also many amazing ones.

I know for a fact that I will return to Shanghai one day ...

I simply must return, for there are many things we did not get around to doing. Like visiting the Jade Buddha Temple, walking the Bund, Huangpu River cruise, exploring the Peoples Park and Square, a day trip to Suzhou and riding the Maglev.

PLEASE ALSO HAVE A LOOK AT MY ACTUAL CHINA PAGE, AS THERE ARE A LOT OF TIPS AND INFO ON THAT PAGE THAT RELATE TO CHINA AS A WHOLE :)

• Pros:Perfect blend of the old and the new
  • Cons:Hectic chaotic busy - but thats their way of life!
  • In a nutshell:Shanghai is a city full of FUN things to do!
  • Last visit to Shanghai: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2009

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hi, lots of good info - thanks. I'd love to try the maglev.

• chinamonty's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Toilet is a hard to master from the pinyin. Just say Sir Swore (and rub your hands) and they will usually get your drift. Also a lot of toilets have small plastic pans full of water. Thius is so you can clean yourself and then use paper to dry your hands.

• gaolei's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM

You really do have to experience the maglev, and it is much cheaper than taxi.

• meggy88's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 5:58 PM

HI Lindy, great shopping page, cant wait to get there and get some bargains.

• rabbit06's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

"Shanghai is a city full of FUN things to do!" Could not agree with you more, great pages lindyz! And at last mine are finnished, for now lol...enjoy!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM

No FB ..sounds great! I always wanted to visit this city right from when I lived in HK for 9 months back in '86/87. Planned to take the steamer. Had a romance with a Belgian girl who lived there for 6 years and she spoke fluent Chinese..

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 5:22 AM

I was only in Shanghai for 1,5 days but I liked it a lot. I'll let you know when my page is done.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Wonderfully funny picture of you on the glass bottom floor, hehehe....I think my wife would love the Dragonfly...and yes, that baby is really cute! Did not know they had no Facebook! Lol on the toilet...Norman :)

• Slapshot1's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I'm looking for Bob Dylan, heard he was a VA of yours. Where is he?

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Badges & Stats in Shanghai

Have you been to Shanghai?

Latest Activity in Shanghai