"Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new" Shanghai by lindyz
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,073 reviews and 8,108 photos
On our plane trip from Guilin to Shanghai, it was my first and only time with a window seat, and I took full advantage of that. I knew Shanghai was a BIG city but I never knew exactly how BIG until we were coming in to land. The weather was nice, the sky was clear and you could see for miles and miles. I took a lot of pics of what I saw out that window, and it was then that I knew for sure that I was going to like Shanghai! A lot of travellers dont particularly like big cities, BUT I DO! Not only do they have all the modern cons to offer, they are also jam-packed with everything ancient and historical.
Our Hotel in Shanghai was a perfect blend of the old and the new. I really liked the Metropole, a Hotel built in the 1930's with history and a certain old world charm about it.
Shanghai was also easy to get around it, via either taxi, the subway or by simply walking. We did sooooooo much walking in China that I came home 2kg lighter! Taxis were in abundance and, even though the drivers spoke very little english, they were courteous and fair. We caught the subway several times to Xinyang Markets and twice across to Pudong to see the amazing towers and buildings there.
That is my next heading ...
Tracy and I were constantly mesmerised and amazed at the enormity of Pudong. Seen either from the Bund area, or from the ground in Pudong or from one of the 3 main tall buildings in Pudong, either way you will be blown away.
The 3 main buildings I was encouraged to concquer were:-
1. Oriental Pearl Tower
2. Jin Mao Tower
3. The newest addition to the family - The Shanghai World Financial Centre.
And ... yes indeed ... we did concquer all 3 of them, and enjoyed every moment of it. Apart from being way up in the clouds at times and not being able to see a thing! We went up the second highest observation deck at the Pearl Tower and were lucky to be there on a clear day. We went up to the 100th floor of the SWFC - but were up in the clouds and saw very little. We also had a drink or 2 at the Cloud 9 Skylounge in the Jin Mao Tower on the 87th floor, which is reported to be the highest bar in the world.
Once again, we were drinking up in the clouds - up in heaven!
I guess the only historical point of interest we visited in Shanghai was the Yu Yuan Gardens and Bazaar, a place we both thoroughly enjoyed. The gardens and the buildings, even the pathways, were very tranquil, serene and beautiful to look at and also to photograph. It was kind of a weird feeling to be walking through the peaceful gardens, knowing you were close to the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world.
I am told that Shanghai has a population of around 20 million people in inner Shanghai and approximately 60 million in the entire Shanghai province.
That is a rather large amount of people. But, when you were inside the Yu Yuan Gardens, you didnt feel like you were anywhere that busy and crowded, it was quiet and peaceful. Plus, there was absolutely fantastic shopping in the surrounding shops! Unfortunately, we left it until our second last day in Shanghai to visit, we really should have gone there first!
My memories of Shanghai are all good ones, many funny ones, and also many amazing ones.
I know for a fact that I will return to Shanghai one day ...
I simply must return, for there are many things we did not get around to doing. Like visiting the Jade Buddha Temple, walking the Bund, Huangpu River cruise, exploring the Peoples Park and Square, a day trip to Suzhou and riding the Maglev.
PLEASE ALSO HAVE A LOOK AT MY ACTUAL CHINA PAGE, AS THERE ARE A LOT OF TIPS AND INFO ON THAT PAGE THAT RELATE TO CHINA AS A WHOLE :)
- Pros:Perfect blend of the old and the new
- Cons:Hectic chaotic busy - but thats their way of life!
- In a nutshell:Shanghai is a city full of FUN things to do!
I was unclear as to what adaptor to take from Australia, so I took two. The one with 2 round prongs and one with 2 flat... more travel advice
I love observing local people and how they go about their daily life when I am in a foreign city. But, what I especially... more travel advice
- See All Maglev to Pudong Airport
- See All Rough ideas on prices
- A city best seen at night
lindyz's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 42 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 79 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 81 reviews, 283 photos
- Phuket Intro, 69 reviews, 232 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 190 photos, 6 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 44 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Island Intro, 55 reviews, 165 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wollongong Intro, 44 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 42 reviews, 107 photos
- Thailand Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Motel 168 (Shanghai Pudong Airport)
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- YMCA Hotel Shanghai
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- The Regent Shanghai
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Mayfair Hotel Shanghai
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Ramada Plaza Shanghai
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Motel 268 (Shanghai The Bund)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 26, 2012
- Summit Service Apartment
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Holiday Inn Downtown
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Heyi Hotel (Shanghai Caobao Road)
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2012
- JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
- 392 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Celebrity Service Apartments Shanghai
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Shanghai Silver Court Service
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Wanping Hotel Shanghai
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Portman Ritz-Carlton Hotel
- 397 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Changhang Merrylin Hotel Shanghai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 29, 2013