"Two weeks in Paradise" Thailand by lindyz

Thailand Travel Guide: 31,346 reviews and 79,425 photos

Phuket - 10 days

Wednesday 2nd April, 2008
Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away ... to Thailand.
My daughter Georgia and I were off on an adventure, travelling also with my friend, her hubby and their 2 kids. Georgia had never been out of Australia, so it was a really BIG adventure for her. For various reasons, my hubby and two teenage sons stayed home.
We flew Thai airways (highly recommended) to Bangkok, then changed planes and flew to Phuket, staying 10 nites at the Patong Merlin. We chose the Merlin for the pool area for the kids and because its very central. The rooms at the Merlin were quite small and old but they were adequate. The included breakfast daily was great and the pool area (3 large pools) was fantastic. Would highly recommend the Merlin for families and value.

Highlights of Phuket

Of course, we did lots of shopping here - at Otop markets, beach road shops, and Jungceylon Mall.
We also did a few day trips. Highlights were our day trip to Phi Phi Island, our Elephant Safari and our trip to Phuket Fantasea.

Phi Phi Island
I managed to bargain the tour price down from about $100AUD per adult to $42AUD per adult and $30AUD per child, so was quite pleased with that. Trip included pickup, boat to Phi Phi, snorkelling, lunch and snacks. It was a full day from 8am to 4.30pm and very much worth it.

Elephant safari
Did this at Siam Safari - cost bargained down to $35AUD per adult and $28AUD per child. much cheaper than our Hotel price and much much cheaper than price in brochures here in Australia. It was the highlight of my daughters trip and a lot of fun.

Fantasea
This place you will either love or hate - its pretty full-on theme-park style of place, but I think its worth it. Price once again bargained down to $57AUD each per adult or child/no buffet dinner included.

The massages and treatments in Patong are amazing! The best and cheapest ones were on the main beach - only $10AUD for a one hour massage - pure heaven!

The food was also amazing. Best place we found (we ate there many times) was the Banana Leaf on the back road near Merlin. Meal and drinks about $5AUD each - it was scrumptious!

My last nite in Patong I spent by myself sitting at the beach, just people-watching and watching the sunset - it was beautiful. The photo on my title thing is the Patong sunset - I did NOT want to leave.

Bangkok - 4 days

Bangkok - what can I say - you either love this place or you hate it. I just loved it, while the other 5 of us hated it. Our main aim here was to SHOP SHOP SHOP! And we did that, every day, mainly at the MBK Centre, which was a 10 minute walk from our Hotel, the Novotel on Siam Square. We managed to visit the MBK each and every day we were in Bangkok, and each time we found new levels, new areas, new shops and new bargains to be had!
My friend and I also went to the weekend markets at Chatachuk on Songkran Day - WOW that was a funny day. We got absolutely plastered with water, which was nice as it was soooooo hot.
My daughter and I had planned to do the Grand Palace tour but ended up not fitting it in. I feel I have only just scratched the surface of things to do and see in Bangkok, and I will be back there one day.

• In a nutshell:Relax or run wild in Tropical Paradise
  • Last visit to Thailand: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2009

• Updated Comment
    SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Enjoyed reading your page and tips and photos. Thailand is a great tourist destination to chill out. Cheers from Penang Island, SL :)

Other comments
  • Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Nice pages. We loved thailand too but only had a 3 night stop-over in Phuket. It will be longer next time and include time for shopping in Bangkok.

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM

super page Lindy!thank you for all the info and pics.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Hi Lindy, - Very nice pages and tips. Brought me back to Phi Phi, Bangkok and Phuket....Great photo of Maya Bay too......Cheers....Erik

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Thailand is definitely on our family to-do list. My dad lived there for a year back in 1969-70, in a place called Udorn. (He was in the US Air Force, during the war in southeast Asia) He loved the people there.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 9:49 AM

You are so fortunate to be able to go to Thailand. It looks absolutely beautiful there. It's quite a distance from our side of the world. Love the idea of recycling your clothes. Nice page Lindy. Lori

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

wonderful Thailand pages -- you pat an elephant and then the eagle --- awesome experiences...Norman :)

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Haven't been to BKK for yrs, but used to fly THAI a lotin 70s-great airline! seems u had a great trip! My first elephant ride was bareback in Lanka; have you seen my photos of video of the PERAHERA there? Maybe u want to meet me there one year?

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Just back from Phuket - had to come look here again, we had a great time.

• fachd's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Yes MBK is great place to shop, Kim she love shopping and I love eating at MBK.

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Badges & Stats in Thailand

Have you been to Thailand?

Latest Activity in Thailand