"BALI 2004 - the initial bite from the travel bug!" Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia by lindyz

Indonesia Travel Guide: 19,329 reviews and 50,569 photos

Eight days in Bali - May 2004

This new adventure that Tracy and I had embarked on was both scary and exciting. Neither of us had travelled overseas, so it was ALL new and different.

We spent 8 days in Bali in 2004, to celebrate our 40th birthdays, and we have not looked back. We stayed at the Melasti Resort in Legian. It was the perfect location for us, as we weren't real party animals! We were near the beach (even tho we both dont really like swimming in the beach!). We were close to LOTS of shops and we were just out of the busy hub of Kuta.

Our time was spent shopping (at least twice a day!), swimming in the pool and rocking up to happy hour at the swim-up pool bar every day, being pampered at various day spas, and trying out lots of delicious and cheap restaurants nearby. The only tour we did was a day trip with a driver up to Kintamani Volcano and to Ubud. We had planned to see more of the Island, but that didnt eventuate. We thought there would always be a next time.....

On our last day in Bali, we spent several hours at the Bodyworks Day spa, which was pure heavenly bliss, it was a lovely way to leave Bali and remember it by.

Our trip happened in between the first and the second bombings in Bali. Sadly, my family (consisting of myself, hubby and 3 kids) had a holiday to Bali planned, and we were to leave the day after the first bombs. We had several hours to decide if we were still going to go, as we quickly worked out that our travel insurance did NOT cover our losses if we cancelled. So ... it was either lose $6,000 or go to a country torn apart and not quite the paradise we had hoped for. We chose not to go, but eventually were refunded our holiday money which was reimbursed by the tour company we had booked through.

And so ... Tracy and I felt extremely safe in Bali, as we knew we were NOT going to frequent the places (night clubs) that were targeted in the first bombs. However - we did go to all the places that were targeted in the second bombs, which scared us a little bit. For that reason, we are not certain we will return, which is very sad. The Balinese people are the most friendly and beautiful people and the country is indeed a paradise. We would feel very selfish going back there (without our families) knowing that something COULD happen.

Anyway ... thats my Bali story. As I said ... it was indeed the beginning of an addiction ... to travel. At this stage of my life (and according to my bank account!) travel to Asia being as cheap as it is, I plan to see every last little bit of that part of the world, before I venture even further afield. I would love to travel to Europe, in particular France, Italy and the Greek Isles. I would love also to travel to Egypt (I would have to take my daughter there with me or else she would kill me!) There are many other places I want to see and experience. But ... for now ... it will be China ... then perhaps Malaysia ... then perhaps Singapore ... then perhaps somewhere else exotic ... actually I think my next trip will now be Hong Kong, with Tracy and her boss in 2011 - something else to look forward to! Gee, the year 2011 sounds likes its way into the future, but it'll be here sonner than we know it!

I cant seem to find any pics of Bali on the computer, if I find them, I'll upload them. Im new to this so it could take me a while!
UPDATE: Yesterday I scanned all my Bali pics and today they will be all up on this page - aint modern technology grande?!

Relax ... and enjoy ...

Tracy and I were never more relaxed and chilled than when we were in Bali. Even though it was a completely foreign environment to us ... strangely enough it just felt like home! We were not worried about anything while we were there, which you can see is quite evident from our chill-axed happy pics!

Shop ... swim ... eat ... drink ... get massaged .

Im sure Tracy wont mind me putting this pic on - after all it is my favourite Bali pic of all of them. Even tho she is naked - all the bits are covered. Her bra is actually the 2 coconut ladles the ladies used to wash us down with!

This was our last day in Bali and we spent several hours being pampered at Bodyworks Day Spa in Seminyak - this was pure bliss (except the next week Tracy's hair went green - we worked out it was from an avocado cream put in her hair!)

We had about 5 different treatments here, all very well priced and very relaxing. I would recommend this place to anyone - in fact I consider it a 'BALI MUST DO!"

PS. Ive just checked the Aussie dollar against the Rupiah - when we were there 5 years ago, we were getting about 6,300 rupiah to 1 dollar. Today the rate is 8,200 rupiah to 1 dollar - AND WE ARE COMPLAINING NOW ABOUT THE AUSSIE DOLLAR!?

• Last visit to Indonesia: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Sounds like you had a good time. Like those photos of the traditional dancers, I always like to go and see those shows when in a new country.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Wow, are those coconut husks on Tracy? Awesome pic...wonderful trip to Indonesia!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM

great updates, thanks for sharing, Lindy !

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I love that coconut bra on Tracy.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 12:54 AM

You looked very relaxed after your massage!!

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Hi Lindy, Nice page...it's one of our 'want to go' places. So many 'want to go' places...Have you thought of coming to the Airlie beach meet by the way? T

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Nice additions here- that spa does look excellent. I had similar experience in Haridwar, India. Love the pampering.

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Badges & Stats in Indonesia

Have you been to Indonesia?