China Things to Do Tips by lindyz

China Things to Do: 753 reviews and 1,144 photos

No crowds - just me and the wall - China

No crowds - just me and the wall

Avoid the crowds - get there early!

We were very lucky with all of our main attractions in that we seemed to avoid the crowds, and also the pollution. Im not sure how or why we got very little or no pollution during our whole 3 weeks, but we are rather thankful for that!

But, I am pretty sure why we seemed to not come face to face with huge crowds anywhere we went. We were there in early Autumn, which is I am told, the peak tourist season for China. And yet, you will see in the majority of my pictures, I was able to take photos with no other people in it, making it look like we were the only people there. In fact, there were probably hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists at every place we went to, but we found it easy to wait a few minutes for a crowd to disperse.

We always got to our tourist destinations very early and left around mid-day, thereby avoiding the huge crowds that come in on tour busses. We were usually arriving at places right on opening, or soon after opening, and we were able to do this because we had hired a guide and designed an itinery with each guide that allowed us to work our day into our schedule of where we wanted to be at what times.. If you go on a huge guided tour, you have no flexibility to do this. You are locked into their schedule, and that is the main reason we do not like going on tours. The only tour we took while in China was our Li River Cruise, and that seemed to be the only way to do that.

And so, to all those people who have looked at my photos and said to me "Where are the crowds???" that is the only reason I can give you.

1. To get to your destinations as early as possible.
2. To hire a private guide and attempt to avoid group tours.

• Written Oct 12, 2009

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Badges & Stats in China