"Ky_Happy_Dad's Versailles page" Versailles by Ky_Happy_Dad
Versailles Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 10 photos
As you fly into Bluegrass Airport near Lexington on a clear day you will see some of the most famous horse farms in the world. For those who love horses, central Kentucky offers much. The Keeneland Racetrack and the Kentucky Horse Park are well known and favorite places. Versailles is one of several small towns that surround Lexington. Most residents of these communities commute to Lexingon to work or for entertainment but choose to raise their families in smaller communities. Visitors to Lexington and central Kentucky often come to see sporting events at the University of Kentucky or for business in Lexington. Most visitors are impressed by the friendly people and the manicured horse farms.
Versailles is a small town of about 12,000, small enough to have a sense of community but close enough to Lexington to be an easy drive for shopping or entertainment. For visitors, I would recommend viewing the scenic horse farms, the nearby Keeneland race track, the Woodford Reserve historic distillary, or seeing a play or engaging in recreation at the Falling Springs recreation center. Versailles has several promising Bed and Breakfast establishments.
One other interesting thing about Versailles is that it was the backdrop for the Kentucky scenes in the new Cameron Crowe movie "Elizabethtown" which has just been released. Elizabethtown is a real town in Kentucky located just south of Louisville, but when the movie director was looking to film he liked the looks of Versailles. So, if you watch the movie you can see the Versailles downtown, a historic local church, and cemetary, but through movie magic everything will say Elizabethtown or Hardin County.
- Pros:Another great little charming Kentucky town, but
- Cons:don't excpect much in the way of excitement.
- In a nutshell:The town is pronounced "ver-sails" not the french pronounciation
If you enjoy hiking and are visiting central Kentucky, the best trails for scenery and rock climbing are located in the... more travel advice
Take a scenic drive to see some of the most beautiful horse farms in the world. I would also see the Keeneland Race... more travel advice
Ky_Happy_Dad's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Top 10 Pages
- Kentucky Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lexington Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tennessee Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Missouri Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 9 photos
- Ohio Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Frankfort Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- California Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue