"Ky_Happy_Dad's new Missouri page" Missouri by Ky_Happy_Dad
Missouri Travel Guide: 3,391 reviews and 6,689 photos
Missouri is a microcosm of middle America, a State of great contrasts between its rural farmland, northern plains and busy cities. The State has Ozark hills filled with natural flowing spring fed rivers and large man made lakes. The State was the gateway to the West, as symbolized by the St. Louis arch. The state is as plainspoken as the only President from here, Harry Truman, and colorful as its most famous author, Mark Twain.
But to me Missouri is a special place I spent my formative years, at a time when children could run free and play in small towns. We rode bicycles whereever we wanted to travel, made our own entertainment, and dreamed of exotic foreign places. Televison was limited to three stations. Parents were not afraid of strangers. In my memory, Missouri was a safe place to be a child, to explore, and learn and grow.
I haven't lived in Missouri since the early1980s, but I recently had the chance to visit with my own children and show off some of my favorite places. I'll discuss some of these places on this page.
St. Louis a great sports city that loves its professional baseball and football teams. The downtown has a restored area at Lacledes landing where you can walk from your hotel to the arch, Busch stadium, or the many restaurants and sports bars.
The Southern Missouri foothills have attracted hunters and fishermen for generations. I'll show some pages with information on floating one of the crystal clear spring fed natrually flowing rivers, fishing on Table Rock lake or one of the State parks, or seeing a show in Branson.
- Pros:A microcosm of all that's good and bad about middle America.
- Cons:See above.
- In a nutshell:This is the real America you don't see in movies or television.
Bennett Spring State park is the site of a Missouri fish hatchery that stocks this park and others with rainbow trout.... more travel advice
Branson is the type of town people usually either love or hate. It is a family friendly town crowded with tourists who... more travel advice
Ky_Happy_Dad's Related Pages
Missouri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic State, Beautiful State, Notorious State"
- "Missouri & Kansas City"
- "Proof Life Exists in the Middle of the Country"
- "Missouri Backroads and Byways"
- "The Missouri Ozark Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Missouri
- Hotels in Missouri
- Transportation in Missouri
- Nightlife in Missouri
- Restaurants in Missouri
- Shopping in Missouri
- Warnings and Dangers in Missouri
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Missouri
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Missouri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Missouri
Top 10 Pages
- Kentucky Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lexington Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tennessee Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Missouri Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 9 photos
- Ohio Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Frankfort Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- California Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Missouri hotels
- Branson Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 331 Photos
- Saint Louis Hotels
- 1116 Reviews - 1931 Photos
- Belton Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Kansas City Hotels
- 706 Reviews - 1608 Photos
- Hannibal Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Osage Beach Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Springfield Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 158 Photos
- Cuba Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Ha Ha Tonka State Park Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Harrisonville Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Lake Ozark Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 123 Photos
- Farmington Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Ridgedale Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Potosi Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Bolivar Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 34 Photos