"Dürnstein" Top 5 Page for this destination Dürnstein by Jp799
Dürnstein Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 325 photos
Dürnstein is in the Wachau valley, a region famous for its wine making and beauty. Hundreds of years ago pirates were common in this region, and they used various tricks to rob people. One group would lay a rope or chain across the Danube, and when a ship would pass, they would pull the rope, blocking the path. The ship would have to give up some of its cargo for further passage.
Dürnstein has a place in history because it was here that Richard the Lion Hearted was captured as he returned from the Crusades and held prisoner in their castle. He was freed once a large ransom of silver was paid, and this money was largely used to build the Vienna Neustadt.
The village has fewer than 2.000 residents, and the only real industry here is tourism. Many people have small plots to grow grapes and small winieries to go along with it. Each little winery will allow you to taste the wine in one of their wine cellers. You are not obligated to buy any, so technically you can drink wine the entire day for free!
The DDSG Blue Danube Schifffahrt GmbH offers many different cruises along the Danube. The most common go between Melk... more travel advice
Jp799's Related Pages
Dürnstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wachau - Durnstein and the Danube"
- "Duernstein during pre-Euromeet in Vienna 2010"
- "Beautiful Stop on our Danube Cruise"
- "THE PEARL OF THE WACHAU"
- "The Historic Dürnstein Town"
- "Dürnstein, the Jewel of the Wachau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dürnstein
- Hotels in Dürnstein
- Transportation in Dürnstein
- Restaurants in Dürnstein
- Shopping in Dürnstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dürnstein
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dürnstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dürnstein
- Vienna Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dürnstein Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Brussels 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.