"au coeur du continent" Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg by kemisteryoso

Winnipeg Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 538 photos

Winnipeg Welcomes the World

Winnipeg is the capital and largest city of Manitoba, it is the heart of North America. It is a multicultural city with about 750,000 people friendly with welcoming spirit. The population of 1,177,800 of Manitoba(The land of 100,000 lakes and has one of the highest numbers of first Nation people in Canada) is concentrated in the City. The Ojibway First nation people are concentrated in the city.

The name Winnipeg comes from the Cree language meaning muddy water which refers to Lake Winnipeg 40 miles to the North. Most people I talked with and my relatives calls this place "Winterpeg" because of the extreme winter season but I also found out that it is also called Peg, Peg City, Slurpee Capital of the World, City of Rivers, Gateway to Western Canada, The Windy City and Christmas Capital of Canada.

People are indeed friendly, it was a surprised for me. Everyone is polite and the excellent customer service. A woman always greet me in a bus stop and we always have this small talk about the weather and places I need to see.

At first, I thought it was boring but as time pass by and getting familiarized about the place, I started appreciating the things you can do here. I love the exchange district and I am glad they preserved this piece of treasure in the heart of the city. The old buildings, establishments, stores made me feel that I was transported back 100 years ago. It is picture perfect and rich in history.

Winnipeg has a diverse culture from countries all over the world, it is because Manitoba has many categories that other people from other nations to choose from if they want to migrate here. The foklorama, the festival for showcasing the culture of each country is one of a kind they said. I will check this out next year.
I never expect that Filipino is the top visible minority here in Winnipeg. It's like I'm not far from home, you can find Filipinos everywhere. I will not surprised if someday they will change the name of Winnipeg into Philippeg (kidding)

They always said that Winnipeg has the extreme winter season of all the cities of Canada. So better check if you really wanted to visit during this very cold months. Usually, they said winter starts at November and sometimes it lasts until April. I experienced the late winter because I arrived on March but they said the real winter is on January where the temperature can drop up to -40 degrees.

Embrace the climate

I arrived Winnipeg recently, March 10th of 2011 as an immigrant with a permanent resident status. I expected a very cold place far different from my country Philippines. I still don't know what is my fate on this foreign land but I will make it sure that it will be a happy one. I know it's very tough at first without friends, the cold climate, being new to a place you have never known. But I am a risk taker, i will never know unless I try and sometimes life is better and more exciting outside your comfort zone.

Spring should be coming 1 week after my arrival but It seems that winter was extended. It is my first time to see snow. Everything is white and not much people lurking around the streets. But I like the difference though, it is a new experience.. a brand new story. Back home we only have 2 seasons and now I will experience more.

I have a whole new life here and my travels will be now different... camping.... fishing... etc. I'm very excited about it, a whole new thing to enjoy.

• Pros:friendly people, sunny summer, clear sky, culture
  • Cons:Extreme winter, Spring flooding
  • In a nutshell:Small town friendly, big town fun
  • Last visit to Winnipeg: Mar 2011
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2013

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Tell me is the dancing all disco? any R&R? or a waltz????

Anyway very nice pages and photos. I am pleased to give you some rates.

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Fabulous page about Winnipeg here. Gorgeous tips and brilliant photos. I especially like your tip about the public transportation system. Well done.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2011 at 2:53 AM

So you just arrived in Canada, I agree with you I like Canada as the people are so friendly :) Good luck with getting adjusted to your stay in a new country :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Great that they have free buses in the downtown area. That's what every city should have, to reduce car traffic. Good luck in getting acclimatized in your new home town!

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

hope to read about more 'to do' tips.

kemisteryoso Lives Here!

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Winnipeg

Have you been to Winnipeg?

Latest Activity in Winnipeg