"Iloilo City" Top 5 Page for this destination Iloilo City by kemisteryoso

Iloilo City Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 890 photos

One of the promising Cities of the Visayas

Iloilo for me is a city with rich cultural heritage especially if you will walk along JM Basa formelrly Calle Real. It is also one of the cleanest cities I've seen here in the Philippines. The river is not polluted that is why I felt envious thinking about the dead Pasig river of Metro Manila.

We stayed 2 days 2 nights and it is not enough that is why we missed some attraction but our trip was easy because Ilonggos are very helpful and nice to tourists foreign or local alike.

We didn't go straight to Iloilo city actually because from the airport we visited the northern towns first. We did that all morning on our first day then went straight to Jaro district to see some ancestral houses and its old church. I want to wander around more before checking in but my friends are very tired. I still have the energy but I am outnumbered. We headed out to Lourdes dormtel and after 1 hour I went out alone and wandered around because they went to sleep. I can't afford to waste time by sleeping and seeing nothing. I can rest all I want after the trip anyways. In the afternoon, we wandered old street of Calle Real now JM Basa which is a very old street with old buildings of Spanish architecture and went to the old church of San Jose and see more old ancestral houses and the museum.

Our first night is boring because they don't want to go out and see some nightlife. I can't sleep so I went outside and bought some beer.

The next morning, we woke up early for the southern towns of Iloilo which turned out to be an amazing trip. I made a hectic itinerary and my friends can't catch up with it. It's very tiring but worth it.

About Iloilo

It is the capital of the province of Iloilo and the economic center of western Visayas. It is strategically located on the central part of the Iloilo coast and the gateway to to the province of Guimaras and from here, one can hopped other islands of the Visayas like Negros and Cebu or travel by land and visit Aklan, Antique and Capiz provinces of the Panay Island where Iloilo also belongs.

Iloilo city is a highly urbanized city with 6 districts that once individual towns that were incorporated to form one city when Iloilo gained city hood status in 1937.
The attractions are old ancestral house and heritage infrastructures and old churches .

Old Churches makes me move

I love the old churches of Iloilo city and a tourist must not miss the churches of St. Ann in Molo, Jaro Cathedral and the red brick church of San Jose. There's so much history on these churches and that's what I like most about them. T

• Pros:Rich heritage, beautiful churches and charming people
  • In a nutshell:Rich cultural heritage and fantastic churches
  • Last visit to Iloilo City: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2011

• rottenbadtz's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM

wooooooooooo di ko akalain na lahat ata ng sulok ng iloilo nilibot mo... kahit ako taga iloilo di nakapunta dito...salamat tol'

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM

New year greetings from Iloilo. It's so sad to see Calle Real in such a bad shape and art deco buildings replaced with ugly modern structures. This is not the Iloilo I know and grew up in.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM

The year San Jose church was established (1607) was also an important year for Virginia. Jamestown was settled that year: the first permanent English settlement in the Americas.

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Iloilo City

Have you been to Iloilo City?

Latest Activity in Iloilo City