"1 of Cebu's tropical paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Bantayan Island by kemisteryoso

Bantayan Island Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 425 photos

Sometimes advertisement really helps. I actually saw Bantayan Island from a DOT Calendar and honestly,I never heard this place before. I am amazed on the pictures printed in the Calendar that moved me to plan a trip. I made that happened last weekend after I gathered enough information about this place.

I usually travel alone so that I can do whatever I want and will decide where to go without a slight resistance from whoever I am with. This is also my way to detached myself from my real world.

The trip was really tiring but for a traveler it must be nothing. The travel from Manila to this island is 1 and 15 minutes to Mactan International Airport, 3 hours to Hagnaya port( gateway to Bantayan Island) from North bus terminal and another 1 hour ferry ride to St. Fe wharf from Hagnaya . I suggest you should take the earliest flight to maximize your time.

From Sta. Fe Wharf you will be fetched by a resort service from where you are staying ( it depends on the resort). In my case, I took a Trysikad( that’s what they call their pedecab) that carried me to Sugar Beach Resort .
I stayed 2 days and 2 nights on the island doing everything that I planned to do.

Bantayan Island is actually a remote place for me. There is not much urban life and the streets weren't busy like those in the metros. No ATM machine at Sta. Fe but I spotted one at the town of Bantayan so be sure to carry enough cash.

Don’t expect much nightlife. They have some resto bars located at the town proper of Sta. Fe , never seen acoustic or live band or even a single disco house. Cebuanos love singing so you can hear guests and locals singing on a videoke (karaoke with Video).

Food was not a problem for me, because most of the resorts have their own restaurant. The price varies and in my case the food at sugar beach is far cheaper than others. Kinhason, Humbang tiil and Bam-I are my favorite.

I did Island hopping to Virgin Island and Halintagaan Island, snorkeling and visit other resort like Sta. Fe Beach Club which around 500 Meters away from Sugar Beach where you can have a simple cave experience. You can rent a bicycle or motor cycle and wander around Sta. Fe or just ride a Trisikad and observe their simple community life.

I went farther to the town of Bantayan to have a glimpse of the very old and St. Peter and Paul Church. To watch the spectacular sunset at Madridejos is what I missed to do.

Bantayan Island beaches have unique sand. The white sand is mixed with pebbles, small shells and red small stones. Not whiter and finer than Boracay or Panglao Island though but the water is clear and barely moving that adds tranquility to the place. I suggest visiting the place from January to June to have a calm beach experience.

The locals of Bantayan are very helpful and hospitable. It is hard to communicate sometimes to some locals because they were not good in translating some Cebuano words into Tagalog so I ended up hearing mixed Cebuano and Tagalog sentences.

Don’t miss Bantayan Island. A tranquil place to relax when you are visiting Cebu.

Summary of expenses

Ferry Fare (1st Class)- 150 pesos
2 nights accommodation Air-conditioned Room - 2000 pesos
Miscellaneous - 1500 pesos

Ferry Terminal Fee - 10 pesos
Ferry Fare (1st class - 150 pesos)
Bus Fare (Air-conditioned) - 110 pesos
Taxi to Mactan International Airport - 150 pesos
Terminal fee - 200 pesos
Airfare (Zest Air) - 928 pesos

Total = 6,851 pesos

Bantayan Island is divided in to 3 towns namely Sta. Fe(pink one), Bantayan and Madridejos. The concentration of beach resorts and restaurants are located in Sta. Fe.

• Pros:Calm and serene environment
  • Cons:far
  • In a nutshell:A tranquil place to relax when you are visiting Cebu.
  • Last visit to Bantayan Island: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2010

Travelogues (1)

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Those food tips were so vivid and descriptive that it made me hungry. Great job, friend!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Yikes, a pet bat in a restaurant, hahaha...what a treat, hahaha....but I would not mind tasting the Kinhason. Bantayan looks so far but worth it for the tranquility :))))

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Bantayan Island

Have you been to Bantayan Island?

Latest Activity in Bantayan Island