"Want to have a piece of Philippine History?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cebu City by kemisteryoso

Cebu City Travel Guide: 507 reviews and 1,504 photos

Historical Cebu

Cebu City is in the island province of Cebu and formerly known as Sugbu way back the time of Spaniards. Cebu City is part of Metro Cebu which comprises 7 cities and 6 municipalities. It is the second largest city of the Philippines and growing very fast.

The people of Cebu are called Cebuanos. Cebuano and English are widely spoken in Metro Cebu than Tagalog . Like on any other places in the Philippines, English is commonly used in educational institutions and business transactions.

Foreign and Local Tourist visit the place because of its rich history. Cebu have variety of old churches like Basilica Minore de Sto Nino and structures constructed way back the time of Spaniards like Fort San Pedro. Its fine beaches like those of Bantayan Island ( My first destination before my Cebu City Tour), Malapasqua Island( I will visit someday) and Nagsulukan Island are world famous.

Cebu City can be reach via Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) located in Lapu-Lapu City. Local Airlines like Philippine Airlines, Zest Air and Cebu Pacific have regular flights to Cebu from major cities of the Philippines like Manila.

My experience

Actually I just want to have a piece of Philippine History that is why I included a Cebu tour in my list. I explored some of the city's tourist spot in just 1 day because I spent more days in Bantayan island which also a part of Cebu province.
I know from the start that I will be having a limited time exploring the city so I grouped the places to visit to save time and with the power of google map and asking directions this trip turned out to be successful.

Coming from Bantayan island aboard in Ceres bus I hopped of near SM Cebu city then from there I took a jeepney to Cebu provincial capitol which looks like a miniature white house. The I headed to Colon street which is the oldest street in the Philippines. This street is really old at the same time crowded many dilapidated building and vendors, I didn't meet my expectation but it's okay then from there I walked towards other historical spots like the Sto. Nino Basilica then just right outside the church on the far right is the Magellan's cross. I am fond of churches so I also visited the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral which can be done by walking. I was lost in my map when trying to find my way to the smallest fort in the Philippines which is Fuerza de San Pedro. Thanks God there are many Cebuanos that are more than willing to help when being a navigator is not working. I stayed much longer inside the fort to rest because I am very tired walking and the old man playing guitar made it more relaxing. There's so much history inside. Around 200 meters I think from the fort is the Malacanang de Sugbu where the president usually stays when visiting Cebu.
I like to visit more in my list but I have barely enough time. This time I rode a cab and headed to Lapu-lapu city in Mactan Island to have a glimpse of the Lapu-lapu shrine another historical landmark in Cebu before going to the airport for Manila.

I was so tired but this side trip was great for I had the chance to see some Historical places that I only read on books. I was so exhausted waiting for my flight with a big smile in my face. I had a quick but very fulfilling trip in Cebu.

Candle Dancers

While staring at the great cross of Magellan, two women approached me and dressed in red and yellow. They asked me if I wanted to offer a prayer and they will dance with the lighted candle. The candles cost 50 pesos. It looks a sales strategy but I want to see them dance while praying so I tried. I told them my intention and they started saying words which seems like a chant to me or I just can't understand because it is so fast. The dance is basic just forward and backward movement with the candle in their hands shaking it in to the air. Well, I can't forget this one because my intentions came true.

• Pros:Historical and Nice Beaches
  • Cons:A little congested
  • In a nutshell:History and beaches in one province
  • Last visit to Cebu City: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2011

• cyndymc's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM

It's been a long time since my last visit to Cebu City. Your Cebu page made me reminisce the happy moments I had then.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2010 at 2:27 AM

An interesting new page on Cebu City. I have never been to Cebu but some members of my family used to live and work there.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I love it!

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Cebu City

Have you been to Cebu City?