"Wreck Diving Capital of the Philippines" Top 5 Page for this destination Coron by kemisteryoso

Coron Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 511 photos

This trip made me realized that simple way is sometimes the best. This fishing village is actually located to the southernmost part of Busuanga Island and together with Coron Island, Culion Island, Calauit Island and other smaller islands; they will form the Calamianes Group of Islands in the northernmost part of Palawan province. This is one of the must-see places in the Philippines.

I had a rough 1 hour flight especially when the plane is about to land. I saw the magnificent aerial view of islands and the green mountains of northern Busuanga where the small domestic airport is located. The Francisco B. Reyes Domestic Airport is very small and simple not modern to be exact but clean and organize. Our luggage were checked manually . I pre-arranged a pickup so I was instructed to just look on my name outside the airport, I waved my hand when found it and the driver approached me courteously. I am not the only passenger so I met new travelers along the way.

I enjoyed my 45 minutes journey looking at the lush green mountains, landscape and winding roads which serve as an appetizer to my main course. Houses can’t be seen on the first 15 minutes so you will feel real nature. I never seen a public transportation during my trip which made me think that the airport is really isolated. The only way to explore the island is to rent a private vehicle or tricycle, the latter is cheaper I think.

I stayed at SeaDive Resort in Coron town where most of the resorts, restaurants, nightlife and shops are located and most specially, it is the gateway to most of the sea attractions. I found many affordable accommodations but you can choose island accommodations like Club paradise which is located on a small island north of Busuanga if you want to but very expensive.

When I arrived at the town, I can say that it is simple but with unique beauty I can’t describe. Coron is actually known for wreck diving and most westerners visit this place because of this reason. I found around 6 dive shops in Coron town. I am not a diver though but I can say that I really enjoyed my vacation. Coron offers mostly sea attractions so one really needs to charter a boat but since I traveled alone for this trip I knew It would be a real pain in my pocket if I will go alone so what I did was, I went to the front desk and ask the ever smiling staff if she could help me find a small group that is willing to allow a lone traveler to join them and will just pay my share for the boat. Thanks for her help and I joined a small group of Argentinian couple and a French national for the Coron Island tour. I visited Siete Picados and snorkeled there, took pictures and swam in Barracuda Lake, took a quick swim at Banol beach with our Vice-president Binay and his son Jun Binay the mayor of Makati and lastly snorkeled at Skeleton shipwreck before heading back to Coron Town. Even though I missed some attractions like the twin lagoon and the famous Kayangan Lake, still everything for me was perfect.

I spent my first night checking every night spot and I can say that Coron is catching up in terms of nightlife. It has bars, disco, videoke houses and grill stations most of which are located in the town center and along the highway. You will surely have one that will suit your taste. My favorite is the newly opened Disco bar “Subasco”, Kawayanan Grill and Raggs to Riches.

I failed to join a group on my second day so I decided to explore the town again and this time is to check places to eat, other accommodations, souvenir shops and bazaars. I can say that there is no problem about food, there are some local restaurants and with few foreign restaurant that offer variety of menu for a reasonable price especially those just right outside Sea Dive. I actually tried the Beef Kaldereta of 3 restaurants and all of them cooked it so well. I like the “Bulalo” of Lolo nonoy’s too. I noticed though that most of food establishment close early so no time to be choosy if it happens you went out late in the evening.

Accommodations are indeed concentrated in Coron town so I assure everyone that you can find a place that suits your budget. Like what I’ve mentioned there are also island resorts scattered around the Calamian group but most are very expensive and isolated but real paradise judging from the net. In Coron town you will have everything in one place without the feeling of isolation and also much cheaper because of numerous option.
I was so tired and went back to the resort and took a 2 hour nap then around 5 PM I decided to climb Mt. Tapyas, one of the two land attractions I know. It has 723 big steps so I was soaked in my own sweat when I reached the summit with a big cross on it. The view is spectacular; I saw siete picados, Coron Island and other islets, the sunset in Sangat Island and the whole of Coron Town. This is the highest I climbed so far. The grotto of Lourdes in Baguio and Kamay ni Hesus at Lucban as well as the our lady of the Holy Rosary in Caramoan are not high compared to Mt. Tapyas. The second one is the Maquinit Hotspring but I am not a fan of hot springs so I skipped this one but they said it’s good to relax your body after a tiring island hopping activity. This is actually a salt water hot spring with mangroves in one of its side.

My 3rd day went fine because I have a new group to join for the Malcapuya loop Island hopping tour. It is a 2-hour journey but I am use to it so I am staring on everything along the way. I visited the ever famous Malcapuya Island, Banana Island, Bulog Uno Island and Malaroyroy Island. I failed to see the Chiron sand bar and Ditaytayan Island because the group stayed longer than I expected at Malcapuya Island and the boatman said they will charge additional fee for an additional island to be visited. I was amazed of the beauty of each island I visited, each have their own character and beauty. I was so tired and dozed of in our entire 2 hours travel heading back to Coron town.

I spent my last night at Sea dive restaurant then tried the burger at Coron Bistro and I met the first group I went with on the Coron Island Tour. They asked me if I knew a place where they can hear loud music and dance the night away so we all went to “Subasco” and enjoyed the night with 2 bottles of redhorse beer and shots of Vodka.
I woke up late the next morning and this time went to the rooftop of the resort and laid down my back in a hammock as the cold breeze blew to my face. Sadness went in while thinking that I am about to leave this paradise soon. After I ate my breakfast I had a little walk to the town and bought some souvenirs and visited St. Augustine Church and asked for a safe trip then I went back at noon to fix my things and formally said goodbye to the staff of Seadive at 1 PM.

I love this island. A very small one but perfect for photo enthusiast. Those limestone rocks at the background is actually Coron island. I want to stay longer and wander around but it's getting late and they are in a hurry.

There is so much beauty about the place not just wreck diving..Try Coron and witness its beauty yourself...

• Pros:Beautiful island beaches, lagoons, lakes
  • Cons:expensive for a budget traveler
  • In a nutshell:Not just diving.. there is more..
  • Last visit to Coron: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2011

• heydelin's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Wow! Thank you sooooo much for your tips! I'm excited to go to Coron on my birthday!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Wow!! This is a a fantastic page of Coron! Very detailed descriptions and great information, more useful than any other guide I found so far :) A stunningly beautiful northern tip of Palawan, which I will hopefully visit at the end of my coming trip to the Philippines. Do you think four whole days (five nights) would be fine? Thanks again for your excellent tour, Jeff!! :)

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 2:04 PM

What a fascinating page! Congratulations on your Barney award nomination!

• cyndymc's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Very comprehensive travel page, Jefferson! You've just motivated me to really put Coron on the top of my list for must-see places;))

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Nice job so far. Keep up the good work.

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Coron