"Guimaras" Top 5 Page for this destination Guimaras Island by kemisteryoso

Guimaras Island Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 387 photos

Guimaras Island is a small island province just south of Panay Island separated by the Iloilo straight. It comprises 5 towns in which Jordan is the Capital. Being a former part of Iloilo province, Guimaras has a culture and ways similar to Iloilo. The design of trikes and jeepneys are all the same as well as the language and charming tone of the people.
The island became famous for its sweet mangoes, actually the sweetest are found in this island province. In fact other mangoes or seedlings are prohibited to enter the Island to preserve and protect the Quality of their mangoes. A mango research facility is located in the Island
The island also have nice beach pockets like those in Alubihod and Guisi which is worth visiting.

First Day in Guimaras

After our trip to Iloilo, we headed to Guimaras to experience a different environment and try their beaches as well. We thought about Concepcion islands but the long travel made us think twice and since we don't have much time left, Guimaras is more practical to explore because of its proximity to Iloilo City.

We checked out early in the morning around 7 AM and we had a 15 minutes boat ride from Ortiz port to Jordan where we rode a jeepney to Nueva Valencia. The travel took 1 hour and a half of our time but it could have been shorter if the jeepney did not wait for passengers in Brgy. San Miguel that long.

Sitio Alubihod is not along the highway so we rode a Tricycle waiting on the main highway and brought us to Raymen beach resort. There are other resorts in Alubihod one can choose from and we chose Raymen because it has more positive reviews than others.

We are so lucky that our room was already available that morning so we checked in early or else we ended up waiting on their cottages until 2 PM. We hurried to our room and changed our clothes into beach attire in a flash. We decided to take a brunch and had our Island hopping activity at 10 AM. We went to the DOST Turtle Sanctuary, Ave Maria Islets and beach, did snorkeling somewhere on the islets, visited Baras cave and had a quick stop at Baras beach then we went to Natago Island where I enjoyed so much its little white fine sandy beach and beautiful view and lastly we headed to SEAFDEC nothing fancy about this one though just big fish on a breeding station. We consumed 4 hours on the entire offshore activity.

We took a little nap and woke up at 4 PM and had our Pansit Molo merienda at Raymen's canteen. After ordering our dinner for the night we headed to Sitio Guisi of Brgy. Dolores to see Guisi beach and our main target, the Guisi Lighthouse ruins on a hill. Afternoon is the best time to visit this place because of the nice sunset they said. I really enjoyed this one, the rough 30 minutes trike travel, walking down a tricky dilapidated concrete path, feeling the fine white sand under my feet while walking towards the hill, the sound of small waves crashing, enjoying the peaceful place around you, the very careful trekk up the hill, the view of the Guisi beach, the ruins amidst green vegetation and the sunset that made everything more beautiful. I just love it.
We headed home before the night engulfed the remaining light we have around us. After our dinner, we spent the night drinking a bottle of beer sitting on the beach staring the clear night sky. We love doing this as we talk about many things until we had enough.

2nd day in Guimaras

The next morning I woke up early because I wanted to take photos while the beach is quiet and not crowded. I owned the beach for a couple of hours. I went to Rico’s and climbed to their Lifeguard house set on a rock overlooking the sea and the whole of Alubihod. The view was perfect and relaxing.
We checked out around 12 noon and we went into the Trappist Monastery located in Brgy. San Miguel about 15 minutes from Alubihod to buy some goodies and souvenir items made by the monks themselves. I love their Mango bar and sad to say their Mango jam was not available so I bought a Pineapple jam instead which is also quite good. Then we headed to Jordan and decided to visit Balaan Bukid because its only 2 PM and we still have time for it. We rode a trike at Jordan port and he agreed to wait for us and we will pay him P100.00 just to be sure we have a transportation on going back to the port. We had a smooth 10 minutes ride but the real thing is the climb. We hiked the rough and stony path of the hill for 45 minutes and I was drenched in my own sweat. My back pack made me suffer more. My 2 travel buddies seem not tired and they climbed without resting. I am the last one to reach the summit and that was made possible because I rested on every station. By the way, Balaan Bukid is a hill in which during lenten season people go here to re-inact the suffering and death of Jesus. It has 14 stations along the way with a big cross and a chapel at the summit. The panoramic view of Iloilo city and the straight separating the islands of Guimaras to Panay is the prize for those who endure the challenge. Our travel back to the base was much easier and we left the Island at 4 PM.
We only spent 2 days and 1 night at Guimaras but seems we are here for how many days. We really had so much fun and adventure . Don't forget this Side Trip when visiting Iloilo.

• Last visit to Guimaras Island: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2010

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM

If not for anything else, I want to visit Guimaras for their sweetest mangoes, my favourite of all fruits :) I'm going to spend a few days in Guimaras before attending the Dinagyang Festial in Iloilo. Great tips Jeff! Thanks! :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Nice page!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Great page mate. I have been thinking a lot about going to Guimaraes this year and it surely looks great.

• rottenbadtz's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Salamat sa info! Ive been here couple of times before pero ang laki na ng pinagbago. Lahat na ata about Guimaras nabasa ko na sa net. Wish you could visit Concepcion Islands next time. Message po kita... i need your help w/ Guimaras island.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM

Jeff. Parang nakapasyal na rin ako sa Guimaras with your write-up. Superb!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I like it!

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Guimaras Island

Have you been to Guimaras Island?

Photos in Guimaras Island