"Paradise Amidst Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Sagada by kemisteryoso

Sagada Travel Guide: 692 reviews and 1,956 photos

Nature at best

Sagada is a small town located in the Mountain province and belongs to the Cordillera Administrative region. This region comprises Benguet, Ifugao and Mountain province. It stands at 1500 meters above sea level and blanketed by pine covered mountains. It is a place not easy to reach, you have to endure long hours of both rough and winding journey in a bus and jeepney to have a glimpse of its beauty. It can be reached via Baguio and Banawe if coming from Manila and either of the two will take a total of 13 hours to Sagada. It worth the long journey, it is a paradise amidst mountains blessed with natural attraction as well as rich culture.
This place is also perfect for lovers because of its tranquility and for adventure seekers because of its caves and mountains. The lush green mountains around you, the cold weather, helpful people and the simple ways of life makes you enjoy every moment. Everything there is simple and it is a great place to be real away on a crowded city where you can just relax and enjoy the cool and green surroundings.

I felt real away from home but I’m not thinking much about it because I’m enjoying so much what I’m seeing. It is very different from all of my adventures which are mostly beaches .This one is something different.. being one with nature like hiking and mountain climbing, mingling with the town’s folk, the cultural experience, the adventure and cheaper expenses made this trip so wow. It is indeed one of the perfect places in the Philippines you shouldn’t miss.

Nerve racking adventure

There are many perfect hiking trails because it is one among the mountains. So if you are a hiker then try Mt. Ampucao, Marlboro country and Bomod-ok falls. Everyone can go on their own but it is advisable to get a guide so you don't get lost. But there are some places that doesn’t require a guide so having a map is pretty handy. If you are too lazy, you can just have a little walk around the town and visit echo valley, the church, the hanging coffins, Sagada weaving, museum or have a taste of their local food "Pinikpikan" (battered chicken) and "Etag" (smoked meat). Other activities one can do are exploring waterfalls, spelunking, visiting historical sites and observing tribal celebrations and rituals of Dap-ays.

I will never forget the Cave Connection challenge. It is one of the must-to-do whenever you are in Sagada. I never been afraid to any of my trip but this one made me think twice specially my company is a woman. I told her if we can just have the normal caving without going deeply inside the cave but she said she wanted to try and determined to take the challenge so there's nothing I can do. I can't forgive myself if there's something bad happened to her plus I'm thinking crazy things because it's a local belief that someone who's going to leave is prone to accident so I'm very careful . The other fun part of this adventure was s the verbal fight we had because sometimes she's not careful and often times clumsy. She made me jumpy thrice. We spent nearly 4 hours inside the cave until we reached the other end which is the Sumaging Cave entrance. I admired her for the courage she showed me and that made me love her much more.

Coffins

Sagada couldn’t get more mystifying without the hanging coffins found on the cliffs made of limestone and your adventure won't be perfect without it. I read so much about this one and I'm very curious about this kind of custom which very different. The ones at Echo Valley are the most perfect and you can go closer as much as you wanted. They call it locally as "Im bat-bato" they believe that the dead need to absorb sunlight. But no all Sagadans practice this anymore only the elders are buried this way. They have a cemetery called Calvary Hill now.
They said the small coffins were prepared before hand and they will force the body inside into fetal position believing that they will go back to the womb again to be re-incarnated. Then they will brought the coffins by passing it from one person to another until it will reach the cliff where it will be mounted.
The Sagadans 2000 years ago preferred this kind of burial. Some coffins were also put on cave walls like those in the Lumiang cave entrance and they said there are others out there in the midst of the mountains waiting to be discovered. They don't put all the dead together, they said it depends on what is the cause of the death. Those who died naturally or old age if you like are separated from those who died by accident, war and diseases. The brown coffin is the newest they said and it was mounted last year but we didn't know we just found out when we let the front desk see our photos. We were shocked thinking about the dark stains on the wall underneath the brown coffin. I went to the coffins very close and I can't sleep that night.

• Pros:cold weather, excellent hiking trails, magnificent caves, perfect sunrise and sunsets
  • Cons:far
  • In a nutshell:Paradise Amidst Mountains
  • Last visit to Sagada: Feb 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2012

• asiantraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

hi! if i take the same route as yours where am i to stay in banaue ...can u give recommendations of some good hostel or inns to go to...i like it cheap but ok ...btw, this is an awesome page :)

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I didnt stay longer in Banaue because It's foggy and rainy that time. That's why I am not able to create a Banaue travel page.

• miguel_arcangel's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Manila-Banaue-Sagada.. any tips on what to do in Banaue aside from the grand view of the rice terraces?

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM

hi jeff........... buena already had a comment.......hahaha we are planning to go to sagada this septbr and your tips are very useful.......thanks for sharing .... please accept my friendship -travels...travels..and more travels...:)

• buenababe's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Great tips! thanks for posting them jeff... i'll keep them in mind when we go to Sagada Sept. 15-19.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Nice job! Keep up the good work.

kemisteryoso

“Think not the fear... but the adventure.”

Badges & Stats in Sagada