"The Land of Sagas" Iceland by mayafly
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,481 reviews and 16,169 photos
Iceland is a bizarrely beautiful and awesome country. Whoever does marketing for Icelandair is a PR genius. When you combine these two things? A quick weekend stopover in Iceland that left me dying to come back for more.
These are a few of my favorite things about Iceland...
1. It's less than a five-hour flight from Boston.
2. If you fly Icelandair to/from Europe, you can build in a stopover in Iceland for free.
3. Reykjavik - Pretty painted houses, cute coffeeshops, hip Icelanders...
4. Tolkienesque landscapes -steamy geysers, volcanic craters, craggy ice-tipped mountains.
5. Geothermal energy - used to power everything from buses to greenhouses - did you know that Iceland is Europe's largest producer of bananas??
6. Amazing original copies of the Icelandic sagas on display in Reykjavik.
7. Thingvellir National Park - site of the world's first parliament (outdoors!) and one of two places in the world where you can witness continental drift in "action" (the other is the Rift Valley in Africa) as the North American and Eurasian plates slowly drift apart
8. The country is so small that people are listed by first name in the phonebook....even the president!
9. The Blue Lagoon - a naturally heated spa. For a little extra, the airport bus will take you to the spa and keep your bags for you while you soak for two hours. Then they pick you up and whisk you away, completely relaxed, to the airport...just in time for the flight home!
- Pros:Gorgeous, strange, small, friendly
- Cons:Extremely expensive!
- In a nutshell:A Blend of Unique Nature and Fascinating History
It didn't look all that little to me, but I guess it can't compare to the big one...certainly a crowd-pleaser, though... more travel advice
mayafly's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 23 reviews, 10 photos
- Berlin Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Moscow Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Uzbekistan Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- El Salvador Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Germany 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bangkok 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Prague Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
Top Iceland hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 892 Reviews - 2991 Photos
- Þingvellir Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 314 Photos
- Höfn Hotels
- 61 Reviews - 164 Photos
- Stafafell Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Hellnar Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Vík Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Vík í Mýrdal Hotels
- 76 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Vestmannaeyjar Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Stykkishólmur Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 84 Photos
- Skaftafell Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Selfoss Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Sauðárkrókur Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Reykholt Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Mÿvatn Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 373 Photos
- Laugarvatn Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos