"Cook City Highway" Red Lodge by Dymphna1
Red Lodge Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 47 photos
This is a breath taking drive! It is not for those who are afraid of heights. There are times that on one side it is a straight drop down for several hundred feet and on the other side it is a rock wall.
Be sure to plan this for the summer months as this highway is not open in the winter. The clearing of this road is actually very dangerous in the Spring. Clearing this road and the Going to the Sun Highway up in Glacier are considered to be one of the most dangerous jobs out there. They have to use dynamite in order to clear the snow. You will see tall poles with bright colors on them. These poles are used to find the road under the snow. Some of the poles are better than 20 feet high.
At the top I was driving into the clouds on a hot summer day. The top in interesting to me. Every time I see it I can't but think about the movie "Horse Whisperer". They were driving the horse out to the Bozeman area and on the way they stopped at the battle field located south of Billings. Then the next scene they are driving over the Cook City Highway. Wait!!! they run parallel to each other. LOL That does not compute. But it makes for great shots.
This is a world class skiing/snowboarding. It is not as expensive as most mountains. You can get two days for adults for... more travel advice
Dymphna1's Related Pages
Red Lodge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cook City Highway"
- "Red Lodge, gateway to the Beartooth"
- "Red Lodge"
- "Rock Creek"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Red Lodge
- Hotels in Red Lodge
- Transportation in Red Lodge
- Nightlife in Red Lodge
- Restaurants in Red Lodge
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Red Lodge
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Red Lodge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Red Lodge
Photos in Red LodgeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Billings Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Anchorage Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Laurel Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Pryor Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rapid City Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Red Lodge Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nye Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Red Lodge hotel reviews
- Best Western Lupine Inn
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Beartooth Hideaway Inn & Cabins
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013
- The Pollard
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Inn on the Beartooth
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2013
- Yodeler Motel
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013