"Pompey's Pillar" Pompeys Pillar by Dymphna1

Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 29 photos

Good afternoon side stop.

I did not get to go through the intrepid center, doesn't open for a few days. But this is a good place to stop and have lunch. There is a picnic site and a place for the children to throw rocks in the river. The pillar has some great history and not expensive.
$7.00 per vehicle per day - this includes the Interpretive center.
$100.00 per bus or group
Admission is free with Golden Age, Golden Access, and Golden Eagle Passports.

What is the pillar about

In 1806, Lewis and Clark split up on the way back. Lewis went down the Missouri and Clark went down the Yellowstone River. On the way - just outside of where Billings is today - he stopped and carved his name into the side of a pillar. The signature is preserved. For the next almost two centuries people carved their names and dates into the side of the pillar, until Bureau of Land Management took it over in 2001. Now there is an intrepid center and a path around it.

Other signatures

Here are some of the signatures that are on the pillar. One here dates back to - I believe it is 1888, (hard to read). When I was a girl in the '70's there weren't any ramps around the pillar to walk on and you could look all over the pillar. I remember seeing all kinds of signatures through out time on this rock.

• Pros:Inexpensive and nice side trip. I love history.
  • Cons:Can't walk all over it anymore and there's no food sold.
  • Last visit to Pompeys Pillar: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2009

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Thanks Lee Ann for the story of Pompey's Pillar. We passed it, but didn't stop for a picnic, on our way to Billings from Miles City. I didn't know what it was at the time. Pompey anything seemed a long way off as a site in Montana. :-) Now I know.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM

If I can ever get my mother into a plane again, it would be good to come here. She is a big Corps of Discovery fan.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I enjoyed Pompeys Pillar, it was a special time with my Sister before she passed away. Lovely page!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Very nice page, I found Pompey's Pillar interesting too.

Dymphna1 Visits Here Frequently!

Dymphna1

“Wishing I had more places to go this year.”

Badges & Stats in Pompeys Pillar

Have you been to Pompeys Pillar?

Latest Activity in Pompeys Pillar