"Pompey's Pillar" Pompeys Pillar by Dymphna1
Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 29 photos
I did not get to go through the intrepid center, doesn't open for a few days. But this is a good place to stop and have lunch. There is a picnic site and a place for the children to throw rocks in the river. The pillar has some great history and not expensive.
$7.00 per vehicle per day - this includes the Interpretive center.
$100.00 per bus or group
Admission is free with Golden Age, Golden Access, and Golden Eagle Passports.
In 1806, Lewis and Clark split up on the way back. Lewis went down the Missouri and Clark went down the Yellowstone River. On the way - just outside of where Billings is today - he stopped and carved his name into the side of a pillar. The signature is preserved. For the next almost two centuries people carved their names and dates into the side of the pillar, until Bureau of Land Management took it over in 2001. Now there is an intrepid center and a path around it.
Here are some of the signatures that are on the pillar. One here dates back to - I believe it is 1888, (hard to read). When I was a girl in the '70's there weren't any ramps around the pillar to walk on and you could look all over the pillar. I remember seeing all kinds of signatures through out time on this rock.
- Pros:Inexpensive and nice side trip. I love history.
- Cons:Can't walk all over it anymore and there's no food sold.
It was well done. There is a movie that loops through it on the path they took and things that happened on the way.... more travel advice
Ok, the kids are driving you nuts - this is the perfect pull off! The kids can run and get rid of some of the energy.... more travel advice
Dymphna1's Related Pages
Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pompey's Pillar"
- "Pompeys Pillar National Monument"
- "Lewis and Clark Site"
- "POMPEYS PILLAR NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK, MONTANA"
- "Basaic Pompeys Pillar Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeys Pillar
- Hotels in Pompeys Pillar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeys Pillar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pompeys Pillar
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Pompeys Pillar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeys Pillar
Photos in Pompeys PillarSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Billings Intro, 37 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 11 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anaheim Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos
- Laurel Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montana Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Nye Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Red Lodge Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pryor Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos