"Wood's Powr-Grip Co., Inc." Laurel by Dymphna1

Laurel Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 20 photos

Introducing Laurel

The grain silo has been turned into a furniture outlet with really good prices. But the flag is emblem of this town. When they put the flag up the first time we had a general come in and there was a bit celebration. We have a large number of vets and current people in the military.

The Fourth of July is big here. The parade for this small town goes on for hours. Then at night the firemen put on a big display of fireworks. It is not uncommon for them to put up several hours of fireworks. People come from all over the area for our fireworks. Billings, which is much bigger than we are cannot even come close to what we do.

Come Christmas the lights on the houses can come surpass what the Griswalds did on Christmas Vacation. Major Christmas lights here and it is kicked off with a parade the first week of December.

Every other year we have a major Aviation Week. It was started by one history teacher who worked with the schools and his many students who had gone on to the different branches of the military because of his inspiration to bring in a big show. They bring in tanks, Humvees, transports, choppers, and many other things. There are fly overs and kids come from many different cities to be able to see the spectacle. It is fun to watch the jets come over head.

We have 3 major industries. Wood's Powr-Grip, where I work, Montana Rail Link, with a major train yard, and CHS which is an oil refinery for Cenex.

To work

Founded in 1964 in Wolf Point Montana by my Grandpa Wood. He developed the vacuum cups people use around the world for putting glass and stone into place. Up until that point the suction cups that were out there were dangerous at best. There was no warning if they were going to loose their suction and people were dying because of it. Grandpa had developed a valve lapping tool for lapping tools and expanded it for use in these industries.

We build both the big and little ones. They have been used to put the glass in place for the Crystal Cathedral and Sydney Opera House to name a few of the early ones they used our products on.

In 1990 we had out grown the building in Wolf Point again. This despite our adding on and adding on and adding on. The building was a cookie cutter of a building because of the add ons. Then we had added out buildings and even rented a site out of town. So we moved to Laurel, Montana - a building that was bigger than we knew what to do with. Ok, so we have had to add on again already. You can check out our current product line at www.powrgrip.com

Added photography to the line up.

After my father came into the company he decided to add photography to the line up of our product uses. I remember sitting on the line in the early 80's doing the RD to try and get the pump right on these cups. There were many tries before it was right. But now this thing works great.

We have a 4.5" cup and a 6" cup that can be used for photography, spotting scope, or other small devise that needs holding. We can use Ram Mount products on our product for anything you need to mount. It will go on any smooth non-porous surface. So you can put it on the dash or on the window or on the outside of your vehicle.

• Pros:Small town with a big town just far enough away.
  • In a nutshell:www.vacuummounts.com
  • Intro Updated Sep 29, 2009

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2011 at 5:06 AM

I may have to get one of your products for when I shoot video from my car. Ask me when your in Chicago to show you one of my car videos

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

wanted to visit your home town to see the exact opposite of where we live. Powr grip sounds like a company that makes it work. btw, all the chinese places are careful to "let nothing go to waste" if they can get away with it. n.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Some of us might actually ask for a room facing the tracks. Is the suction cup mount used by Garmin one of your inventions as well?

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I just love pizza!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Love it! Very apt: 'for those who want to donate coins'!! interesting history and info on the main page; who'd a thunk? the Sydney Opera House!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM

nice page. i once drove through montana and thought it was a very interesting state.

Dymphna1 Works Here!

Dymphna1

“Wishing I had more places to go this year.”

Badges & Stats in Laurel